Which Attorney???????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Attorney???????

Met with a 2nd attorney today - he suggested doing a lien strip of our 2nd mortgage ( $47900) since we are so upside down with our mortgage - owe $210000 - worth about $195000 - so with the 2nd we owe about $258000.
    Also have about $90000 in unsecured CC debt.

My concern is having a payroll deduct - with my position in a small company - it will be a problem (even though they wouldnt say that) the 1st attorney i spoke with last week said most trustees require payroll deduct - the attorney I spoke with today said that we can do an ACH from my checking or savings.

2nd concern is we lease a car and the lease is up very soon - the attorey suggested getting a loan and buy it out if we wanted then include it in the Chapter 13 - the 1st attorney suggested getting a $3500 car and deal with it for the next 5 years. I would rather buy this car - low miles and good car than worry about an old car that I dont know about. Our other car is 12 years old and paid for. We have 4 kids and it would be nice to buy out this reliable car instead of going with an unknown.

The 1st attorney also gave my numbers like a 22% pay back over 4 years at $770 per month - the 2nd attorney gave me figures like a 3 year $90 per month( not including car if I buy one)

Todays attorney asked more questions and worked a budget that seemed realistic to submit to a trusttee.

Has anyone had success paying the trusttee directly or do they always do payroll deduct.

Any thoughts on my attorney visits or numbers?
    all responses are appreciated.

That seems like two attorneys on two totally different pages that's for sure. Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but I thought you could only do a 3 year plan if are below median income and a 5 year plan if you are at or above median income. So I would be concerned if you fall in the latter category and this attorney is telling you that he can do a 3 year plan for you.

As for paying the trustee, I think that depends on the district and the trustee. Our trustee allows us to pay him directly, with a MO or bank check, or we can choose ACH withdrawals. But I know some other districts in my state require payroll deduction.
    Ch 13 filed 06/22/09. Dismissed,thankfully, 03/31/10. Ch 7 filed 06/28/10. 341 07/29/10. UST POA 08/06/10. UST mot to dismiss hearing extended to Dec...Feb...March...May...Aug. UST withdrawal of dismissal filed 05/31! DISCHARGED 07/12/2011!

Comment

We pay the trustee directly, but he does require a cashier's check each month, no personal checks or bill pay.

Ditto olivies. If you're over median = 5 year. If you're under median = 3 year.

Sounds like the first attorney you spoke with doesn't know much about ch. 13 bankruptcies and doesn't have your best interest at heart...
      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I also asked my attorney the same question. He stated if the trustee won't accept my request to pay him directly, I could request a hearing with the bankruptcy judge and explain why I can't have the wage attachment. My workplace would really frown on it.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X