top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with my budget...What stays, what goes and what low and high...HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There will be no saving for vacations or anything. 13's don't allow savings outside of retirement plans, and even then it may depend on the trustee. Don't expect much for pets. I was budgeted 150 a month for everything...and I have six pets (three who are senior pets.)

Needless to say I have not filed. (One lawyer had me paying 2500 which left me with 2000 for my budget and 1440 is rent alone. Another had me paying around 800 a month, which left more but it was not plugged into the computer for definite numbers. Had another lawyer say if he could not get me in a 7, he would advise against BK entirely because 13s really don't benefit someone with no peoperty to save and drags out the loans that cannot be discharged. I own nothing, can't be wage garnished, and the remainder is exempt. However I am able to pay MOST of my debts with no problem. YMMV.)
    First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

This is what I would try to do personally, your mileage may vary, and my suggestions may not work for your jobs/lifestyle/etc.

MONTHLY REOCCURING: (all monthly reoccurring items are actual costs, no estimates)
      My Cell: $130.00 <----- Try Net10. $0.10/minute. We've saved about $60 a month by switching
      Husbands Cell: $90.00 <--- same as above
      Car Insurance: $250.00 <--- are you carrying too much? I found out I could halve my state-required coverages and still be above the required amount (in case I were to cause an accident and get sued). I saved about $400/year.
      Our Life Insurance: $93.00
      Baby Life Insurance: $35.00 <--- This sounds REALLY high for life insurance for a small child. Especially since you aren't replacing any income from this person if they do pass.
      Satellite: $115.00 <--- consider dropping this (if you can) and using Netflix ($8.99/month and you can get unlimited on demand viewing) or a free site like hulu.com. Most major networks put shows up within a week so you can see Grey's Anatomy (or whatever you love) for free.

CHILD ITEMS:
      Formula: $190.00
      Diapers & Wipes: $80.00 <--- These are expensive! Coupons, coupons, coupons, sales, stock up, and try generics. I've found that Publix diapers are the only ones that work for my daughter other than Huggies, so I get whatever's cheaper based on coupons and sales.
      Baby Sitting: $541.00 <--- I might change this category to "day care".
      Baby Clothes: $75.00 <--- Really? I've gotten most of my daughter's clothes for $1 from Goodwill or free from friends. If she needs an outfit for photos chances are I can borrow it or buy it after a holiday (IE: Easter dresses go on sale after Easter). $75 is a lot for a baby who's going to spit up or poop on it anyway. (This is my personal opinion and not a judgment.)
      Baby Supplies: $20.00 <-- what is the diff between supplies and equipment?
      Baby Toys: $25.00
      Baby Equipment: $25.00
      Baby Activities (for down the line): $20.00

FOOD:
      Groceries (just edible items): $400.00
      Husbands Eating Out on Road: $300.00 <--- if he's eating at fast food restaurants take advantage of dollar menu items, another poster mentioned a cooler with sandwiches and other creative ways to get food on the road
      My Eating out during workday: $65.00
      Other Eating out: $216.66 <--- This can be cut easily. You will miss it at first, but take $50 to eat out one night during the month, pick a new place to try or an old favorite, and look forward to it. Take another $20 for pizza or take out when you hit that one night you just dread cooking. Cook ahead the rest of the time, freeze favorite family meals, etc. Don't order drinks ($2-$3 for an iced tea or soda is normal here in FL), stick with water, split entrees or desserts...

AUTOMOBILES:
      Gas/Fuel: $300.00
      Auto Maintenance: $150.00
      Tolls: $5.00

PETS (two labs):
      Dog Food: $110.00 <--- Is there a cheaper brand you can use?

HOUSEHOLD:
      Yard Care: $75.00 <--- why can't you cut your own grass? This is about what it costs per month in my area of the country and I can't see paying that to avoid under an hour of mowing/weed whacking a week.

PERSONAL ITEMS:
      Subscriptions:$15.00 <---This is about what one magazine costs per year. Are you subscribing to twelve magazines? Is there a professional journal you could read at work (or ask them to subscribe for you) instead? Otherwise, library!
      Books/Reading: $15.00 <--- My weakness. That, and scrapbooking stuff. However, now we only do the library unless it's our top 3 authors and we KNOW we'll reread that book in the series. (We buy 1-2 books a year with this rule.)
      My Work Clothes: $100.00 <--- You need new clothes every month? Can you mix and match a little more? Find a few extra pieces at Goodwill or on the clearance racks?
      Husbands Work Clothes: $20.00
      My Casual Clothes: $45.00 <-- A month? Unless your hobbies are extremely dirty/rough I can't see needing to replace clothing that often.
      Cosmetic Makeup: $40.00 <--- Would you feel comfortable wearing less, wearing a less expensive brand, having fewer colors to pick from, etc?
      Hair/Nails: $40.00 <--- I would stop with the nails and just keep them filed, buffed, and a clear coat or maybe a nuetral color for work. You can do this yourself easily. As for hair... I'd say stop coloring it if you do (get it back to your "natural" color then grow it out... and get a cut every 8 weeks instead of every 6. Unless you have short hair. Try out the local barber college/cosmetology school for a big discount too.
      Hosiery: $18.00
      My personal items (DO, colone, razors etc): $35.00 <--- cologne, perfume, etc. is a pet peeve of mine since I'm highly allergic and walking past someone drenched in it will set off an asthma attack. You really don't need it and many of us will appreciate if you stop wearing it. Check out an electric razor ($60ish and then it will last for a long, long time). Get your DO and soap, etc. when it's on sale and stock up.
      Husbands personal items (DO, colone, razors etc): $35.00 <--- See above comment.

ADDITIONAL ITEMS:
      Gifts: $30.00
      Baby Savings:$50.00 <--- compound interest is a great thing, and your kid will sure appreciate having a little saved up, but if need be you can cut this out or reduce it.
      Our Savings: $50.00 <--- you're $2000 over a month yet you spend $150 of fun and only $50 on your own savings? Not sure if you're allowed to save in Ch13 (doesn't seem like it from other posters) but if you are then I'd say this is a MUCH higher priority than going on vacation or seeing a play.
      Fun/Entertainment: $150.00 <--- since going out to eat is separate this seems really high for a couple trying to be on a budget.
      Truck Tags/Taxes: $32.00
      Tax Preparation: $33.00
      Vacation Savings:$67.50 <--- you can't pay your bills
      Other Charitable Contributions:$25.00 <--- church, I can't argue with, but other giving isn't as important (in my opinion)
      Family Pictures: $20.00 <--- Nothing says you have to print these out every month. Look for sales. Lots and lots of places offer free prints on occasion or for trying their service. Check it out or maybe try printing your own at home.

I don't know if any of my comments helped. I hope they didn't hurt or upset you. I wish you all the best... you WILL get through this!
      A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

^^^^great analysis^^^^
        19% dividend

Comment

Thanks debtinohio
          A mom on the Gulf Coast of FL filing CH7 and blogging about it. http://chapter7beforeandafter.blogspot.com

Retained Lawyer: 4/5/10. Filed: 6/17/10. 341: 7/21/10. Discharge Date: TBA

Comment

For the record, recent reports say that Hulu wants to become a pay site.

Track your personal stock portfolios and watch lists, and automatically determine your day gain and total gain at Yahoo Finance
            First consult: You go now, no CH 7 for you. You spent entire buffet. 13 has a 95 percent payback. (Owwwch) On to next consult....

Comment

where can you find the IRS max allowances for the state of michigan for a family of five?
              Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

Michigan family of 5 median is $82,058.

Originally posted by Fallonedward View Post
                where can you find the IRS max allowances for the state of michigan for a family of five?
                Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
                (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
                  Michigan family of 5 median is $82,058.

http://www.justice.gov/ust/eo/bapcpa...come_table.htm
                  Thank you so much...
                  Chapter 7 filed 11/4/10 ---- 341 Meeting 12/1/10 ---- Discharge 1/31/2011.

Comment

As others have said, you really need to do some research (and your atty should let you know this info too). The info to calculate what a family of your size should be spending is dictated via a Federal Website.........wish I could remember the name. It is probably a "sticky" on one of the forums.

For example it will say a family of 3 is allowed $XX.xx per month for food, allowance of $XX.xx on entertainment, $XX.xx per month on clothing.

This will give you a better idea of what to expect.

Personally, unless given no other choice, I would not choose to file Ch 13. To me it is like being put in a budget jail. Dictating how much you can spend, etc. What if something comes up.....need new washer/dryer....where does that money come from? Adding a 16 yr old to driver's ins. Can we tell him sorry but there is not allotment for the increase in ins so you will not be able to drive.

Most plans are for 3-5 years.
                    Simply too hard for use.

With my DH's job loss we will fall well below the state median income limits, thus qualifying for CH 7.
                    I am however worried about our tax refund....the first one in almost 5 years. Not sure what trustee will say about that. It is mainly going to atty fees.

Do some extra research. It looks like you are well on your way to understanding it all.
                    Best wishes and keep us posted

Comment

Originally posted by momxx5 View Post
                      Adding a 16 yr old to driver's ins. Can we tell him sorry but there is not allotment for the increase in ins so you will not be able to drive.
                      You can always tell him to get a job and pay for his own insurance if he really wants to drive. I believe that is a fairly common issue, even in those who haven't filed bankruptcy. I always had to pay my own insurance and gas when I was a teenager b/c my parents couldn't afford to.
                      Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                      0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X