Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!! Surrender car??????

Help!!! Surrender car??????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: I am 2 years into my Chap 13 (payments are $575 for 3 years) and I have 2 car payments. Car #1 is a very cheap payment and I want to keep that car. Car # 2 sets me back almost $350 a month and now I do not need or want this car. A family member just gave me a great car for free!!!!

I called my lawyer and he said due to new BK laws, if I surrender my car, the Car Company would go to the courts and would have the car loan taken out of my Chap 13 and I would be on the hook for the whole balance. Has anyone ever done this or know if this is the case? Thanks!

What your attorney was trying to tell you is that if you surrender that vehicle then your Disposible Monthly Income (DMI) will increase by that $350 car payment since you no longer have that expense.

So essentially you will pay the trustee $350 more a month to your unsecured creditors without that vehicle to show for it.

I am assuming that you are paying for this vehicle outside of your payment to the trustee and you are not in a 100% payback.

Do you possibly have other expenses that could offset this?

Comment

Not Really, But we are confirmed for a 36 month BK plan. If My last Chap 13 payment is scheduled for Oct and we surrender it in August what will happen? At the end of my 13 I still have over 2 years left to pay on the car and it will need about $1000 worth of work. What do you think? thanks!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X