top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does 13datacenter.com invoke google-analytics cookie?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does 13datacenter.com invoke google-analytics cookie?

Noticed today that the web pages of 13datacenter.com have the following code, apparently a tracking cookie for google analytics (and there are of course no adverts on 13datacenter.com):

<script type="text/javascript">
    var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
    document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    try {
    var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-1457893-1");
    pageTracker._trackPageview();
    } catch(err) {}</script>
    I can't think of a legitimate purpose for google to track my visits to 13datacenter.com, can you?

Just to be safe I'm going to implement the workaround mentioned here
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Originally posted by catleg View Post
    Just to be safe I'm going to implement the workaround mentioned here
    Safe from what exactly?
    Filed CH13 - 06/2009
    Confirmed - 01/2010

Comment

From cross-site tracking.

Comment

That is just analytics - they use it to see how many visit to their site, and where traffic is coming from - how long you stay, etc - it is basic website stats - not gathering anything personal

Comment

It's not Google tracking you, it's 13datacenter.com using Google Analytics. As Majakat mentioned, it does not collect any personally identifiable data, it just tracks how many visitors come to the site and where they go. Almost every website uses analytics tracking of some kind - including this one. Google Analytics is popular because it's free.
          DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

I have GA set up on a venue where I try to sell handmade items. GA lets me see what search terms brought someone to an item and then determine things like whether they looked and left or looked and the browsed more in the items, etc. I can't tell who they are, I can only tell roughly where they came in from (based on the system generically figuring out that the IP they are using was issued by such and such provider). It's really for the website owner to optimize the site to be more useful and attracting to potential visitors, not about messing around with those visitors directly. The visitors are totally anonymous within the GA data.
            Figured out we were in trouble: (Wait, we're in trouble? ) Stopped paying creditors: Aug 2010 Filed Chap 7: Apr 29, 2011 341: Jun 1, 2011 Report of no distribution: Jun 1, 2011 Discharged Aug 2, 2011

Comment

I just don't want ads for bankruptcy services showing up when I browse.

Sometimes you really don't want Google to connect the dots when you go to the 'wrong' websites. :-)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X