Creditor on claim calling us.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creditor on claim calling us.

Has anyone ever faced this with a creditor who is listed on your bankruptcy claim? About 3 months ago my husband started getting phone calls at work from one of the credit card companies that is listed on our claim. First they sent the debt to one collection agency. I told my attorney about the calls then she sent a certified letter to cease any contact with my husband at work. The credit card company then sent it to a second collection agency. Call attorney. The calls stopped. Now a third collection agency is handling the same debt from a different collection agency. They are very rude and arrogant. The agency left a voice mail that they would do everything including taking us to court and sue us, repossess any valuables, etc. They said in the message that they planned to repossess our new car that we just got last year. That's another story, but we fought the Trustee just to get a decent car. The car is on a loan and the lender has the title. So unless they plan to "steal" our car they can't do anything with it. I called the collection agency and demanded they stop any communication with my husband at work. The agent called me a low-life, dead beat, crook who stole money from the credit card company. I hung up on him. Five minutes later, the agent got a hold of my unlisted number by somehow tracing it. He called 10 times in 10 minutes. I got so fed up that I called my attorney. She said that no creditor listed is allowed to contact us while in an active bankruptcy. Has anyone had a horror story like mine? I had to end up changing my phone number and now have to pay extra to make sure it's not published. The thing that doesn't make sense is that the collection agency says that we opened up a new account after we filed bankruptcy. I would have never opened up a new credit card account and probably wouldn't have qualified since we just filed chapter 13. I am letting my attorney handle this situation. It's just sad that some companies are so desperate for money that they are harassing people in bankruptcy.

Originally posted by muzzey58 View Post
    Has anyone ever faced this with a creditor who is listed on your bankruptcy claim? About 3 months ago my husband started getting phone calls at work from one of the credit card companies that is listed on our claim. First they sent the debt to one collection agency. I told my attorney about the calls then she sent a certified letter to cease any contact with my husband at work. The credit card company then sent it to a second collection agency. Call attorney. The calls stopped. Now a third collection agency is handling the same debt from a different collection agency. They are very rude and arrogant. The agency left a voice mail that they would do everything including taking us to court and sue us, repossess any valuables, etc. They said in the message that they planned to repossess our new car that we just got last year. That's another story, but we fought the Trustee just to get a decent car. The car is on a loan and the lender has the title. So unless they plan to "steal" our car they can't do anything with it. I called the collection agency and demanded they stop any communication with my husband at work. The agent called me a low-life, dead beat, crook who stole money from the credit card company. I hung up on him. Five minutes later, the agent got a hold of my unlisted number by somehow tracing it. He called 10 times in 10 minutes. I got so fed up that I called my attorney. She said that no creditor listed is allowed to contact us while in an active bankruptcy. Has anyone had a horror story like mine? I had to end up changing my phone number and now have to pay extra to make sure it's not published. The thing that doesn't make sense is that the collection agency says that we opened up a new account after we filed bankruptcy. I would have never opened up a new credit card account and probably wouldn't have qualified since we just filed chapter 13. I am letting my attorney handle this situation. It's just sad that some companies are so desperate for money that they are harassing people in bankruptcy.
    Since I filed early last year, nobody calls me.

You have all the power now, so I wouldn't worry.

Comment

Sounds like your collection agency reaged the debt and wants 'their' money. So many people are filing bankruptcy these days that collection agencies are having a field day harrassing people because nobody is enforcing the laws.
      Golden Jubilee was a year-long celebration held every 50 years in which all bondmen were freed, mortgaged lands were restored to the original owners, and land was left fallow: Lev. 25:8-17

Comment

My opinion: this was handled wrongly from the beginning. When it first started, your atty's response was: don't call them at work?!? Should have been: here is the case #, don't contact them at all.

Go back thru your paperwork... Was the original creditor included? If not, address that with your atty ASAP. If so, have your atty send the original creditor & current collection agency a notice of the case filing and advise that sanctions can & will be filed if they contact you further.
        Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
        (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X