Finally found an attorney.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally found an attorney.

I was beginning to get discouraged with the legal profession after having three consultations that were just ridiculous. But finally we found an attorney on our forth consultation and I just feel SO relieved to be able to just get started.
    Filing 7/30/10, 60 month plan, 0% to unsecured creditors

We are looking too. Had one call and talk to me, shoulded good but it was at 8pm and he was obviously calling from home with family in the background. Just didnt seem professional plus he said it would be $2500 + another $400 in filiong fees. I briefly talked to another who was decent and didnt want to go into much more until I filled out a detail sheet with my situation which made me feel better. I have a call Friday with them to talk in detail but they did say it would be $1600 total which I can deal with better.

Comment

But keep in mind, there is usually a REASON why the fees differ. Cheaper attorneys charge a cheaper rate for a reason. Lack of experience, or significant limitation in service. Make sure you understand what you are actually buying if you go with a cheap attorney. Do they limit phone time, limit how many creditors you can list, will they help you with ANYTHING after the case is filed without charging more? etc etc.

Comment

its the 80/20 rule with lawyer imo. 80 percent are crooks and clueless, and 20 percent are solid and smart.

its like that in life too, it seems.

it is absolutely true in business, where 80 percent of the profits come from 20 percent of the customer base.

Comment

I am glad to hear that you finally found one. We are having the same trouble. I contacted 6 attorneys, 3 don't do 13's. I had the first consult he recommended a DMP pr just waiting it out til we can file a 7 again ( thats 3 more years) I went to my second consult he didn't think we could financially fund a 13 without going under and recommended we wait it out This is becoming quite frustrating. I know this will take some time to find one but now I have a default judgment and I am wondering how long before they take action with that.

Comment

Mom - I hear you. This was the issue we were having is that it seemed like no one wanted to take our case because no one was listening to us. They pulled out their little intake form to ask boxed questions that did not give them an accurate picture of our situation.

We finally got pissed enough that we walked into our last appt and said outright, "We want to do a 13 period, and here's why..." That seemed to work like a charm and actually opened up a dialogue about our situation rather than just some attorney spouting off why a 7 or a settlement plan would be better.

Hang in there!
            Filing 7/30/10, 60 month plan, 0% to unsecured creditors

Comment

I have a thread on here somewhere....I was starting to get paranoid that no one wanted my case because so many people told me: this is a 13 if you want the best chance of saving your house and 'I don't do 13's"
              -

HHN and a couple others offered some reasons that I'll touch on here:

If you don't havve a really easy case, the attorneys are thinking that they could do 5 or 6 easy ones in the time it takes to do your one case...so they'd rather not do anything complicated.

I also heard from enough lawyers that "I don't do 13" to believe that it is enough of a difference that it's a real reason and not a brush off or belief that your case is impossible.

I despaired of finding anyone who wanted to help, but finally the first person who had offered a fee agreement (tho at more than twice the price of others) got back in touch with me. (there had been a mix up of not being able to contact him, messages lost in the mail, difficulty getting an appointment even to talk to him) called me and found someone in his firm willing to work weekend and nights to get my case filed. I met with her on Friday and she is a really great lady with smarts and compassion....I'm hoping that we can save the house; if not that , at least the homestead exemption.

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoBell View Post
                I have a thread on here somewhere....I was starting to get paranoid that no one wanted my case because so many people told me: this is a 13 if you want the best chance of saving your house and 'I don't do 13's"
                -

HHN and a couple others offered some reasons that I'll touch on here:

If you don't havve a really easy case, the attorneys are thinking that they could do 5 or 6 easy ones in the time it takes to do your one case...so they'd rather not do anything complicated.

I also heard from enough lawyers that "I don't do 13" to believe that it is enough of a difference that it's a real reason and not a brush off or belief that your case is impossible.

I despaired of finding anyone who wanted to help, but finally the first person who had offered a fee agreement (tho at more than twice the price of others) got back in touch with me. (there had been a mix up of not being able to contact him, messages lost in the mail, difficulty getting an appointment even to talk to him) called me and found someone in his firm willing to work weekend and nights to get my case filed. I met with her on Friday and she is a really great lady with smarts and compassion....I'm hoping that we can save the house; if not that , at least the homestead exemption.
                That's great! Good luck in your filing, and keep us posted...
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Thanks momofthree....it is really a load off my mind just to know someone is out there trying to help.
                  To save the house, it will take a quick filing in the next few days.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X