Charity Contributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Contributions

Hi all, question about contributions. for my expenses I put $100 down for charity contributions. The case is, that I used to be able to donate (seems like ages ago) but things were so tight before we stopped paying cc's that we didnt have any left over to be able to contribute. So, I would like to start contributing to the Leukemia and Lymphoma society during ch13 if allowed. It is dear to me as I lost my mother to Leukemia and really dont want any other person to lose a loved one to this terrible disease. I haven't contributed in a long time so I don't have 'evidence' of recently doing so..I live in N. Dist. of California. Do you think the trustee will ask for proof of $100 month donations? My lawyer didn't blink an eye to my putting that amount down and didnt mention any need for receipts..
    Your opinion is appreciated :-).
    Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
    341 10/7/10
    Confirmed 11/7/10

Since your lawyer didn't question it, it's probably fine. I'm guessing that $100 is a small percentage of your income. You are allowed to claim up to 15% of your income for charitable donations, of course if it's a higher percentage, you're expected to show proof that you've been doing it for a while.

Put it down, the worst thing that can happen is that the trustee challenges it. Then you can show proof that you USED to donate frequently to see if that'll fly, if not, then at least you tried!

We're in Eastern Dist. of CA and our 10% tithe wasn't questioned by the trustee--but then again, he already had our tax returns showing the deduction, so that could be why...
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

Thanks Momofthree. I agree..at least I will try :-). Combined income is 151k so it is relatively small at 1200 a year. I think I will start contributing now (haven't filed yet) since we have breathing room without paying cc and 2nd now....can always stop if trustee doesnt like it and budget is too tight continuing to do so..
      Filed CH13/5yr 7/29/10
      341 10/7/10
      Confirmed 11/7/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X