top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone file chapter 13 after chapter 7 earlier? Venting~!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone file chapter 13 after chapter 7 earlier? Venting~!

As embarassing and humiliating this is to write we filed ch 7 about 5 years ago and here we are again DANG IT!!!!
    So now we are considering filing ch 13. I think the 7 was a mistake only because we didin't really learn a lesson and we were being offered credit less then a year after discharge and what did we do? we took it!!!! We never learned to live on a strict budget and if the car broke down we charged it if something came up we just charged it. Well now 30,000 later we are in the same dang boat we were only worse because we have to file AGAIN and screw up our credit.
    We have nothing nice NOTHING. not even our own house. no nice cars All cars are at least 15 years old.

I must admit feeling like pond scum pretty much sums up how I feel and I am even too embarrased to get ahold of an attorney its so dang embarrasing.
    We have tried debt settlement program we are paying MORE then we would have if we settled ourselves due to their freakin $900 fee to join and their commisions for each settlement they say we saved on. Which if I look at what we owed going into the program and what they want we aren't saving CRAP!!!
    we are now getting summons to court and wage garnishment threats so I feel this is the only way out.

has anyone been as stupid as we have? I mean some of it has been out of our control like losing $1000 a month in income and making two house payments because a sale of our house fell through and so we used cc to pay those so we didn't forclose before it sold but STILL what an idiot we have been.

How do I even show my face in court again or even call an attorney without feeling like pond scum?!!

Ok my rant of extreme guilt and shame!!!

You are not pond scum! I myself filed chapt 7 in 2001. We were doing so good our credit was good then we decided to sell our house in 2005 and buy our dream home on 3 acres. We got stuck with a subprime lender and bamboozled into a different kind of loan 10 days before closing and the mortgage broker said "don't worry you can refinance the loan a month later well no you have to be in a home for a year before you can do a refinance so here were were with a mortgage which was an ARM and we lost the house in 2006 9 months after we moved in! It was devasting! The market crashed and we lost everything both our cars and the house. I didn't know I could file chapt 13 to save our cars and house until after I lost everything. I had to file yet again! I too was humiliated! Now it's been 3 yrs into my chapt 13 with 2 more yrs left and I finally am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel. I am much more educated about credit scores and budgeting my money! It will get better trust me it's gotten much better for me and I can't wait to be done and debt free and you will be too! Good Luck to you it will all work out!
    Chapt. 13 Petition Filed 9/29/07
    Case Confirmed 12/10/07
    59 mos done 1 payment to go

Comment

Your Story sounds like mine. Are you my wife posting this without me knowing? Seriously....

Don't feel bad. Just learn and move forward. We are. And we are filing BK13 here really soon!

Comment

To be honest, I'm in the exact same boat. I'm ashamed and utterly embarrassed, because after my Ch 7 discharge I SWORE I would never, ever, EVER abuse credit again. 5 years later and I put myself right back into the same position. I'm working on filing my Ch 13, and I'm totally ashamed

However, in a funny way, I'm actually looking forward to living on a forced budget for a few years! It's clearly what I need. I hope to come out the other side with the ability to live BELOW my means, properly budget, and actually SAVE money rather than go into debt.

Comment

Originally posted by 987654 View Post
          To be honest, I'm in the exact same boat. I'm ashamed and utterly embarrassed, because after my Ch 7 discharge I SWORE I would never, ever, EVER abuse credit again. 5 years later and I put myself right back into the same position. I'm working on filing my Ch 13, and I'm totally ashamed

However, in a funny way, I'm actually looking forward to living on a forced budget for a few years! It's clearly what I need. I hope to come out the other side with the ability to live BELOW my means, properly budget, and actually SAVE money rather than go into debt.
          Agreed. But I'm trying to delay my BK13 (if at all possible) until I can file BK7 again. But NO CREDIT. No car loans, no CCs, nothing I cannot pay cash for.

I got student loans to pay off...

Comment

Have you looked into Income Based Repayment, to see if your loans are eligible? I have mine in forebearance thru the end of this year, but IBR lowers my payment on ~$35k in student loans to about $170/mo.

Originally posted by pepperoncini View Post

I got student loans to pay off...
            Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
            (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Originally posted by SMinGA View Post
              Have you looked into Income Based Repayment, to see if your loans are eligible? I have mine in forebearance thru the end of this year, but IBR lowers my payment on ~$35k in student loans to about $170/mo.
              We are eligible for IBR. DH owes $22K and I owe $35K. Our IBR 'payment' is $0 for now (4 kids, $37K annually).

BUT - I'm planning to choke out some sort of payment. Interest is still accruing on some of the loans and we will eventually have to pay up. I'd hate to be staring at these things when we're 60...

Comment

Me too

My Ch7 was discharged in 04.

I'll be filing a 13 soon.

Went right back on the treadmill to rebuild my credit but made all the same mistakes and then the depression hit and couldn't make payments anymore.

You're not alone.

Comment

We have the same situation and feeling the same way. I could just kick myself! Don't feel alone and you are not pond scum. We are looking to filing a Chapter 13 soon. I think it will be beneficial to be on a budget. We also did not learn anything after the Ch. 7 (2003) and thought we needed the CC. Not anymore! I have learned so much from this forum and have been on a cash budget since January. I consider this a learning experience. (A very costly one though). Dumb mistake...yes. End of the world....no. Take it one step at a time. This forum is here to support you and not judge you. We have all made mistakes, and can always learn from them. Good luck to you on your journey to be debt free!

Comment

I'm in the same situation. I am very concerned that the trustee will target me for being a repeat offender. The sad part is that I have nothing to show for where the money went. I have come to the realization that I am a gambling addict.

Comment

Me we did it too but only 5 years ago....Thus my screen name Chapter 13 is much better, yes we have to pay it all back, however for the first time in my adult life, I get it!!

Sad that it took 2 BK's to help me get it, but I get it. Paying back our debt has actually been very rewarding. I love to go to the trustees website and track my progress, I get to actually see the numbers going down, down, down....

I've also been able to finally learn to live within my means and put purchases in perspective.

Many days are hard, and no we don't have much extra, but we are making it and so will you

Good Luck, Dumb
                      Filed August 09, all payments made as of July 12th, 2013.....Waiting on final audit and discharge!

Comment

Originally posted by mnvikingfan View Post
                        I'm in the same situation. I am very concerned that the trustee will target me for being a repeat offender. The sad part is that I have nothing to show for where the money went. I have come to the realization that I am a gambling addict.
                        As long as you have all your fingers, you are good.

Thanks for the LOLed...I loled my ao.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X