Collection agency calls after filing Ch13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Collection agency calls after filing Ch13

We filed for Ch13 at the end of May, and are in the process of converting to Ch7 (filing conversion tomorrow) because we had a change in circumstances. We had our Ch13 341 but don't yet have a date for the Ch7 meeting.

This morning, I had a call from 205-423-4020, a number I didn't recognize. A quick Google search turned up Anchor Receivables Management, aka Portfolio Recovery Associates - known zombie debt collectors. I was in a meeting and couldn't take the call, and they did not leave a message, so I don't know what they want. I'm just wondering what to do when they call back.

My instinct is to tell them we've filed BK and they should call my attorney, but a) I don't want to give them any more information than they need and b) I want to be sure that isn't somehow considered an acknowledgement that I owe whatever they're after me for.

What are the chances that this is a really old debt (which means it's probably long been resolved) and they are trying to get in on the Ch13 in hopes they will somehow get listed as a creditor? That seems like it should be illegal, but ya never know.
    DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Doesn't matter what you acknowledge.

Things get crossed in the mail, companies make mistakes. Original creditor may have referred it to a collection agency about the same time you filed, updated their records but failed to update the collection agency. Or they may have sold the account just before you filed - and information trickles down slowly.

Just advise them you have filed and give the case #. Or if you get a letter in the mail - write back.
    Get mortgage modified: DONE! 7 months of back interest payments amortized, payment reduced over $200/mo
    (In the 'planning' stage, to file ch. 13 if/when we have to.)

Comment

Thanks. Normally I wouldn't be all tinfoil-hat about this, but these people are known for resurrecting ancient debts, so that was a bit of a red flag for me.
      DH laid off 3/08 | Last mortgage payment 12/09 | Filed Ch13 5/10 | Converted to Ch7 7/10 | 341 held 8/10 | AP filed by secured creditor 10/10 | Ch7 discharged & closed 11/10 | Foreclosure 10/2011

Comment

Did a little research on Pacer...as SMinGA suggested, this is a CA that one of our debts was assigned to after we filed. They made an updated claim on our Ch13 case, in place of the original creditor, and haven't tried to call me again.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X