No announcement yet.

Renting DURING a Chap 13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi isabella. Great to hear that things are looking up. In my own case, having to look after the bankruptcy went on my credit report was the final issue that pushed me away from apartments and condos and into renting small single-family homes with private owners. For some reason I found, given the current issues in the home market, that though some of them are not terribly experienced landlords they were more hospitable to me.

Hopefully you'll one of the first two you mentioned. The last guy sounds like he'd take advantage of your circumstances in a minute.

Cheers.
    11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
    02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
    08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
    09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

I would look a single family homes for rent, but honestly I think they will be too big, my present place is a large two bedrrom and it is TOO big, plus I don,t want to mess with yard work But is i have to go that way I will.

Now....waiting for my new job's start date. Should be anyday!
      Filed 9/14/09
      Confirmed 12/11/09

Comment

I'm with you on the yard work thing. I hoped to get a house that required less yard work but I seem to have the opposite of that at this point. I debated whether to include gardening fees in my projected expenses when I redid my paperwork (but thought better of it). Maybe I'll look into some large grazing animals instead... maybe goats.

I hope you have enough disposable income with your new job to enjoy it.
        11/2008 - Filed Chapter 13
        02/2010 - Chapter 13 dismissed
        08/2010 - Filed Chapter 7 pro se in new district
        09/2010 - Chapter 7 341

Comment

Just to update everyone and to let people in similiar situations know, I moved into my new apartment this weekend. I rented from a nationwide property management company with apartments in several states. I had to pay a slightly larger deposit but was less than one months rent. It is in a very nice area also. The looked at my rental history, income and credit history. I even qualified for the preferred employer discount! It was alot of stress and hard work but you can find a nice place to live!
          Filed 9/14/09
          Confirmed 12/11/09

Comment

I'm glad to hear that worked out for you, Isabella. I just this week was faced with this same situation. I wanted to relocate closer to my job. When I filed for Chapter 13, I figured that I would have to pay a hefty security deposit in order to be approved. I have a stable income, am able to show I have the means to pay the rent and excellent rental history. When I found out I was denied, I was taken aback. I understand that it's a risk, but I guess I find it appalling that the reigning thought process is that I deserve to be homeless. (Incidently, I was also informed they didn't even bother to check my rental history with my current complex, the credit rating was enough to sink me)What blows me away is that this isn't something "extra" people like us are asking for. We are talking one of the basic needs for pitys sake.

What infuriated me even more, was when they told me that if my case was dismissed, I would've been in. So, if I would've thrown my hands in the air, quit my job, filed Chapter 7, and then gotten a good job afterward I would've been in. But because I'm actively paying back money to the creditors, I"m penalized even further for it. It makes no sense to me truthfully.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be stuck in the same apartment for the next 4 years. It's not a bad place, but I just don't like feeling like I don't have any options. I've considered private landlords, but I've had so many friends with horror stories that I'm leery.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X