Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Title During Chapter 13

Hi all,

Confirmed on 6/16/2008 in IL. Almost half-done!

I had some issues with filing because my lawyer dragged his feet. Basically, he advised me to stop paying everyone so that I wasn't showing preferential treatment toward my creditors, then he dragged his feet on filing everything, even after I had signed all the paperwork. They told me I qualified for a 20% repayment, then when I went to sign everything, it was a 100% plan! I ended up getting them to include my student loans (obviously not for discharge), bringing the plan down to 44%.

What ended up happening was my car got repossessed in the middle of the night because I hadn't yet filed, but was informed to stop paying them. I surrendered the keys (In exchange for being able to take my personal belongings out of the vehicle, something I would never do in the future after the hassles it caused), and I ended up getting the car back, but I had to pay the repo fees, and it was a big mess that ended with the people who repo'd my car breaking my stereo, stealing my CD's, and putting about 1,000 miles on the car while it was in their possession. They also took the car without verifying the VIN. I had a piece of paper on the dashboard covering the VIN plate, and they broke into the vehicle and pulled the paper back to verify it. So shady. Anyway...

As my car was the only secured asset I had, it's been completely paid off now for almost 6 months. Here's what I'm wondering now... Do I have to wait the full five years before I can get my title? Some googling has led to a couple of people claiming they just "got the title" from the finance company when it was done being paid off in-plan. Others have reported fighting for it even after the plan is completed. Finance company is Capital One Auto, if that matters.

So, should I be asking my lien holder for the title to my car, or is that something that HAS to wait until the end of the plan? I'd just rather not have any sneakiness come back after discharge. I've dealt with these repo people before, and the last thing I want to do is have my plan end, no car title, and Capital One sends someone out to collect my car again because after all "they own it."
    Last edited by nlbstr; 08-23-2010, 10:13 AM. Reason: clarity

I have heard of people getting their titles, but I for one have not ,and our car was paid off in the first 6 months of our plan. Just recently I had my insurance company ask who was the lein holder & so I posed the question to my attorney. Her response was to still list Capital One which really doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    Chapter 13 Filed: 2/7/07 Confirmed: 5/1/07 Discharged: 3/2/2012 Closed: 6/2/2012
    130 out of 130 bi-weekly payments DONE
    100% Completed

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X