Being billed after two years....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being billed after two years....

In March of 2008 I had received a bill from our tax accountant for a couple hundred dollars but after discussing it found out that we had paid but this was someone else's bill under my name, problem solved (or so I thought). Heard nothing in 2009. Just received another bill for nearly $400 for the bill from 2008.

My question, as I have not called on new bill, is if the bill is legit can they collect? If it was my bill then I would have included it in our bankruptcy which we had filed on 11/2008 so what happens now if I do owe? Can it be added this late in the game as they weren't listed as one of our creditors? Always something..........
    Filed 11/10/08

Discharged 2/18/14

I would ask for a statement of validation from the creditor first. I've been dealing with a credit card company that says we owe them money for a card we took out in April 2007.
    I would have never tried for a credit card after filing bankruptcy. So I think it's ID theft. I gave the bill over to my lawyer to handle. I mailed out certified letters 3 months ago asking for the validation and never received anything.

Collection agencies are desperate for money right now since people have basically stopped paying credit card bills. With high unemployment, foreclosures, these card companies are losing money and selling bad accounts to the collection agencies for any amount of money. I would first ask for the validation. If it is your bill then the next step is to contact your attorney to amend your plan to include the debt. Any debt that occurred before the filing can be added to your plan. It's as simple as filing out a few papers to the bankruptcy court, signing them and returning to your attorney. Your attorney then will send a notice to the Trustee and to the court. It will be either put on as a notice only or paid through your plan. Make sure any new debt is kept to a minimum. I'm struggling to pay for hospital bills that occurred recently. I just had surgery a few months ago and the hospital wants to send small bills to collection agencies. So be careful with credit until your out of bankruptcy. Be proactive with your attorney and be your own be advocate by learning as much as you can about this process. Also, asking questions on a forum like this is a lifesaver. Best wishes.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X