top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going back to school and Chapter 13 Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going back to school and Chapter 13 Question.

Currently in a 13, and considering going back to school for a two year program.

Now, I understand that I can convert to a 7, and let go of the house.

but, what if I decide I want to keep the home, and rent it out?

can I stay in the 13 (suspended payments)? The reason I want to stay in the 13 is to remove the second mortgage.

in the long term, if I just rent the underwater property, I think its a good move.

any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

Originally posted by espo1357 View Post
    Currently in a 13, and considering going back to school for a two year program.

Now, I understand that I can convert to a 7, and let go of the house.

but, what if I decide I want to keep the home, and rent it out?

can I stay in the 13 (suspended payments)? The reason I want to stay in the 13 is to remove the second mortgage.

in the long term, if I just rent the underwater property, I think its a good move.

any thoughts on this?
    I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking. Suspend the payments? If you want to stay in a Chapter 13 and have a successful discharge (in order to strip the 2nd) you have to keep paying your plan payments.

If you are asking if you can take a 2 year break from payments while you are in school the answer will most likely be a resounding no.

You have to live somewhere while you are in school. You really need to talk to your attorney to find out if you can 1: Take on the extra debt that school will surely mean (living expenses, tuition, school expenses) and 2: Renting your existing home.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
      I'm a bit confused as to what you are asking. Suspend the payments? If you want to stay in a Chapter 13 and have a successful discharge (in order to strip the 2nd) you have to keep paying your plan payments.

If you are asking if you can take a 2 year break from payments while you are in school the answer will most likely be a resounding no.

You have to live somewhere while you are in school. You really need to talk to your attorney to find out if you can 1: Take on the extra debt that school will surely mean (living expenses, tuition, school expenses) and 2: Renting your existing home.
      Well, the school is not close to my home, so I would be moving to go to school. I want to keep the home, and staying in the 13 is the only good move for keeping the home (as the second get removed after the 13 is dismissed).

I guess I would just have to convert to the 7 OR payback the second mortgage if I wanted to keep the home.

Looks like I have to decide on keeping the home or going back to school.

Time to call the lawyer.

Comment

It's not an either/or situation in my opinion. Maybe you should just wait on going back to school or choose a school that IS close to your home. Any reason you must go to this particular school?
        Disclaimer: Young, NOT Dumb.(._.) The plan: $480 monthly for 60 months at 100%. 07/12/08
        Motion to Discharge: FILED!! 08/07/13
        60 down/0 to go \m/(*.*)\m/ 100% complete!

Comment

Well, the schools I want to go to are out of state.

Maybe my dream of going to business school is just not going to happen. Its not a big deal, but I always wanted to go for that and now, as I approach 40, the odds get lower and lower that it will happen. This BK really set me back because its 5 years of hell.

I am learning that in life, you just can't have it all. Its a good revelation, but it stinks too.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X