This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
    Actually, she's questioning a PARALEGAL's advice. She's already, per her posts, gotten the advice of two separate lawyers who said it wouldn't be a problem. And I agree with the actual lawyers. It's not a big deal as long as it isn't extravagant. And $600 for two birthdays and Christmas is not extravagant but I probably wouldn't spend that much.

But I do agree that she does have to take a hard look at her finances and compare the mortgage payment to what she would pay in rent. Wanting to keep a house doesn't mean that you can afford to.

Why are a few people telling her that $600 is not extravagant - but that they wouldn't personally spend that much themselves? That's NOT good advice people. It IS extravagant when she can't make her $500 student loan payment... that she signed for and agreed to pay back, and went to school with to better herself and her familly. Ya gotta get real or you're just not helping her mentality.

Sure, she can shop around to different lawyers offices all she wants, but I highly doubt a single one of them will advise her that $600 for kids gifts within a months time is acceptable. And at the price of offering her "friendly support" you're giving her really bad advice.

Have a great day

Comment

The Trustee has not told her $600 for kids gifts is overboard -- it was a Paralegal who told her not to buy Christmas presents this year because of the filing. She also advised she is in her current situation due to medical and not credit card habitual behavior. I find your post and people who have your thinking to be hypocritical because I am SURE that you and everyone else has their own expenses that we can scrutinize -- so unless you plan to give up all your entertainment which could consist of Television, Smoking, Alcohol, Pets, Eating Out, etc. etc. you nor anyone else should be so judgmental. Melody comes to this board to learn how to justify on padding her expenses like everyone does for their own benefit -- whether it be to put pet food and costs in your food expense or whatever. If she is willing to cut down on some of her entitled expenses to be able to save and purchase gifts for her kids birthday and Christmas gifts that is her right. But suggesting she is a failure because this is how she chooses to spend her money is just arrogant and rude. This website is bkforum.com and not therapy.com
      Chapter 13 Filed November 10, 2010 Indiana - Southern District - United States Seventh Circuit
      Attended 341 hearing 12/15/2010

Comment

Originally posted by ShooFly View Post
        Why are a few people telling her that $600 is not extravagant - but that they wouldn't personally spend that much themselves? That's NOT good advice people. It IS extravagant when she can't make her $500 student loan payment... that she signed for and agreed to pay back, and went to school with to better herself and her familly. Ya gotta get real or you're just not helping her mentality.
        $600 for two birthday parties AND Christmas gifts really isn't extravagant. Probably not a smart idea when in the position she's in, but still not extravagant.

Now, $600 for one party or just Christmas, that would be extravagant.

Question for you:

Are you this confrontational when people pad their budget to support their $400+ a month smoking addiction?

Here's a bit of friendly advice to you: Get real and accept that not everybody is going to think the way you do. And that not all Trustee's are going to make a big deal about $600 for 3 parties as long as their plan payment is met. Of course, only an attorney in her area would actually know the answer to what the Trustee would consider extravagant.

Comment

Originally posted by helpmeout View Post
          $600 for two birthday parties AND Christmas gifts really isn't extravagant. Probably not a smart idea when in the position she's in, but still not extravagant.

Now, $600 for one party or just Christmas, that would be extravagant.

Question for you:

Are you this confrontational when people pad their budget to support their $400+ a month smoking addiction?

Here's a bit of friendly advice to you: Get real and accept that not everybody is going to think the way you do. And that not all Trustee's are going to make a big deal about $600 for 3 parties as long as their plan payment is met. Of course, only an attorney in her area would actually know the answer to what the Trustee would consider extravagant.
          I dont know, either way I look at it $600 is $600 dollars, whether you call it extravagent or not. I don't know that that is the point. I guess if you have that kind of money laying around, go for it.

Comment

This thread has run its course, and there is no point in rehashing further.

Thank you
            "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X