Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if 13 was right...?

Hi ,
    I'm new to this but have been reading a lot and it is a lot of help... We are a family of 6 and have just filled chp 13 because my franchise started losing money the last 2yrs. I was on a modification with bank of america and everything came to a head at the same time. Franchise sold but no payout of 20k till 2 months later. The modification was fine when I called , but when I got a letter in the mail saying foreclosure they wanted 19k and I wouldnt get the 20k till two weeks after foreclosure date... So we fille chapter 13 to keep the house. I was up to date on everythingelse but the first mortgage. I applied for a new job that they flew me out for my 5th interview. They offered me the job which would cover are house 1st , 2nd and chp 13 payment. I've been reading that I should of come clean that I filed but I didn't realize it would keep me from getting the job. I really need it !! How should I approach them . They loved me! The job gives me a car, fuel card and possibly a company credit card. I was put into a bad situation and now I won't be able to get a job and take care of my family ... What can I do ?

Missouri, is this job in the finance industry? Anything that they need to run a credit check for? My guess is that if they needed to do that, you would have signed a release giving them permission to pull your credit report. If they did that, they would have run the check before offering you the job, I'd think. These days there are so many people filing bankruptcy that it's not really a huge employment issue unless there is something about the job that requires you to have great credit. Do you remember signing anything? Is there anything about disclosing bankruptcy in your job offer?

If you really feel you need to talk to them about it, then just be honest. Explain the situation and WHY you filed....it was to stall the foreclosure till your money came through. If they are smart, they will see that the mere filing of bankruptcy doesn't taint you for life. You are still the person they interviewed and they loved you! If they deny the job because of the bankruptcy, maybe they aren't the company to be working for after all.

How's that for a pep talk? ;)
    Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

It's just a supervisor position ... I have no direct contact with money at all. They offered me the job and then emailed me paperwork asking for proof of college degree.. Driving and criminal/drug check... It does say they can run credit ... But not specific. I went through a 5 people interview in 2 weeks which they told me was the fastest ever...? No where on the application did it ask about bankruptcy ..

Comment

Have faith. I think you'll be fine
        Filed pro se, made it through the 341, discharged, Closed!!!

Comment

How do you know it would keep you from getting a job. REALITY, bankruptcy has little effect on employment (it is more myth than reality). I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

I just wanted to say thank you and let you know I got the job and I'm starting this tuesday !!! They didnt ask so I didn't tell ... I figured if they asked I would be honest and let them know what happened. I got offered the job and they want me to show my skills and I might get the promotion 1 step above the one I hired for... Lol we started a budget with what I know I will get paid and are trying to find out if we can list on our credit score that we filled because bank of america scammed us with modification or making homes affordable scam? I'm excited to start a budget and stay on top of this! I will update as much as I can... Thank you for all your help and I look forwarding to learning more from you!!

Comment

Originally posted by Missouri1977 View Post
              I just wanted to say thank you and let you know I got the job and I'm starting this tuesday !!! They didnt ask so I didn't tell ... I figured if they asked I would be honest and let them know what happened. I got offered the job and they want me to show my skills and I might get the promotion 1 step above the one I hired for... Lol we started a budget with what I know I will get paid and are trying to find out if we can list on our credit score that we filled because bank of america scammed us with modification or making homes affordable scam? I'm excited to start a budget and stay on top of this! I will update as much as I can... Thank you for all your help and I look forwarding to learning more from you!!
              Congrats on getting the job Missouri1977! It's wonderful to read positive posts from people able to get jobs! It gives the rest of us hope.
              Filed Chapter 7 July 2010
              Attended 341 September 2010
              Discharged November 2010 Closed November 2010

Comment

Congrats!
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I applied for a job at a college last year, and I got in on an employee referral. Everythng went smooth and then I was sent an email authorizing a credit check. I panicked! In the end, HR told me it was just a standard form I had to sign, but they didn't really even run a credit check. It was lumped in with all of the other paperwork, ie; background check and drug testing. So, having been through that, I would think you will be A-OK.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X