Today is my last day for proof of claims BUT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today is my last day for proof of claims BUT

there are so many creditors including $14000 in medical bills that hasn't sent one...what do I do when my bankruptcy is over to get these cleared from my credit report?

Can the hospital turn me away because of my bankruptcy?

if a creditor doesnt file a proof of claim then they do not get paid. As to removing them from your credit report, you cant - you defaulted and it was either charged off or included in BK - it will stay that way. I'm not sure if the hospital can turn you away or not, but we were told that if a hospital / medical facility is privately owned and funded, they do have a right to refuse to treat someone who wrote off debt through charge-off or BK. Same goes for doctors.

Your lawyer should be able to tell you how your local hospitals work in relation to filing.

Comment

As the self-apponited medical advisor for this forum (nothing I post should be construed as medical advice, etc, etc) any hospital contracted with MediCare and/or approved by the Joint Commission (which is 99.9999% of all hospitals in the US) CANNOT refuse treatment based on a patient's ability to pay. Financial history with the hospital notwithstanding the facility would face HUGE liabilities should a patient's condition worsen due to the hospital's failure to act.

If the hospital is not-for-profit, I imagine it most likely wrote-off the amount to off-set it's tax-emempt status. The IRS has just recently put rules in place for mandatory and documented reporting of bad debt - until this year it was voluntary and unofficial. FYI - hospitals are expected to write-off close to 15-20% of its accounts recieveable as uncollectable, which is more than income tax would have cost the facility - the idea is that paying both would cause the hospital to stop operating, so not paying income tax is the trade off.

If it is a for-profit hospital, it may require a "deposit" before any elective procedure. The ED is off limits for that stuff, though - lawyers would have a field day and the accrediting organizations would pull its approval.

My two cents!

--13for60
      Filed Chapter 13 - 10/05/10
      341 Scheduled - 11/10/10

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X