Renting while in a BK???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting while in a BK???

Ok so now that he made his bed...he threw away his marriage & we are separating, sure wish he would have screwed up BEFORE we filed the stupid BK so I could still rent a place. now that I know I cannot afford this mortgage, after we went thru the pain & agony of fighting the 2nd mor company to save our home...which by the way, we had already WON...they didn't even fight...we just had to finish the stupid BK & we would have been done...but now 6 months later. I am looking to possibly see if I can even convert to a 7 & just stop making payments. That will help me save money to rent a place for me & the kids. But how am I going to rent when my credit is now screwed? with my salary, I may have to stay in a 13 so I wouldn't even be dismissed so where the heck am I going to live?? Anyone else have this one? Wish I could just punch him....uggh!

Not everyone checks your credit before they rent to you, even the ones that collect a fee saying they are going to check it. Sometimes they will rent to you based on your personality and talking with you. Years ago my brother and sister and law rented a newer home near ours with horrible credit fresh out of a chapter 7. When we we moved down south 10-11 years ago we rented our old home to a person we knew had bad credit fresh out of a divorce. She worked for one of our clients and we knew she would take care of the house like her own. She did and always paid the rent on time.

Comment

Nowadays cash is King. Toss a months rent for deposit and 1st and last months rent and you will have little issues. Apartments may be a bit more annoying, but most houses, even with management companies are looking for solid income. Credit means nothing if you don't have the income to cover it.
      3/2/09- Filed: chapter 7 / No asset
      4/1/09- 341 Hearing: 1 creditor showed up Got to love family feuds
      4/2/09- Trustee Report of No Distribution Filed
      6/24/09- Discharged and case closed

Comment

Originally posted by DebtEnder View Post
        Credit means nothing if you don't have the income to cover it.
        That is exactly right. You won't have a problem renting something. There is so much vacancy out there that most rental operators are scrambling to fill units and get that cash flow back up. Save up your coins, be truthful with whomever you lease from, and you will have no problems......

Good luck.
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
        Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

We rented about 6 months after our discharge. We also had a foreclosure the year before. No problem. Security deposit equal to one month's rent, didn't even collect a pet deposit. We told the agent our situation before we even filled out the application. She didn't care, said as long as you have the minimum income to qualify it's not an issue. Maybe 2-3 years ago it would have been, but not in today's market.
          Case Closed > 2/08/2010

Comment

Cash talks and so does honesty. Save up and offer 2 months rent plus security deposit and be straightforward with a potential landlord and you will be ok. Offer the TWO months upfront before any credit check and possible denial.

How do I know? Been there, done it !
            Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
            New Job 7-2011

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X