HELP! Attorney inappropriate/inaccurate Motion to remove stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP! Attorney inappropriate/inaccurate Motion to remove stay

Well, sure hope you guys are having a better day than me....

Came home to two pieces of mail:

1. Response from my attorney to my correspondence sent Monday, in which I said (a) please update me on the status of my chapter 13 - specifically, which creditors did file a claim against me (last day to file claims was 2/12) and I have heard nothing and (b) with my mortgage payment adjusting upward $200, I would like you to file a modification of my plan to take this into account or extend the plan to a 4 or 5 year plan instead of 3 year. I was proud of myself for being assertive, but not demanding or rude.

His response? List of creditors which is so convoluted, I can't figure it out and includes a creditor I don't recognize with an amount I don't recognize. Letter saying "here's your list" PERIOD. Second paragraph says "you need to let me know your tax refunds for state and federal because we may have to raise your chapter 13 payments, depending on how much your refunds are." HUH? I don't even know if I will get a refund or not! I don't know why he would say "I think we need to raise your plan payment" - no explanation. His final paragraph was "if your mortgage is going to be raised the way you claim, my suggestion is for you to get a roommate."

I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is an appropriate way to speak to a client, firstly, nor to someone who has asked you to do something (he gives no reason why he won't file modification) on their case. His "the way you claim" remark makes it sound like I am lying but he got the same letter I did saying my rate was adjusting - it is no big surprise!

Second piece of mail is - joy joy - a Motion for relief from stay from my mortgage company. I am ONE payment behind which I am going to make next Wed. But that's not what their info says. It says I am behind 4 payments with a payment figure of $775.65 (my payments have been $710.23). I have no clue where this $775 figure came from - never heard of it. Court date for this motion is April 3.

I immediately checked my bank account - yes, I made electronic payments in the amount of $710.23 on 11/3, 12/16, 2/28 and will finish up on 3/15. 4 payments. Of course, the jerk attorneys who filed all this paperwork tacked on their attorneys fees of $600 and $150 for costs - I assume the filing fee for the motion.

I am HYSTERICAL. First at my attorney, who really seems to be hateful and unhelpful. Again, I don't think it is appropriate to say to a client, who has told you in no uncertain terms "my house is the most important thing to me and why I filed Chapter 13" that "you should get a roommate." Even if I wanted a roommate, I have less than 800 sq feet of living space and 5 dogs - there's no place for someone else!

Second, this motion for relief from stay filed by the mortgage company has me completely flabbergasted. What has happened to all I have paid? If I was paying a "wrong" amount (and this was the amount told to me by the mortgage company's bankruptcy department), why would they have not sent me or my atty a letter saying hey sister, you are paying the wrong amount? Why did they tell the court I have paid nothing when that is untrue?

Help/advice/tips PLEASE. Here I thought I was doing good and this comes like a shot out of the blue.

Okay the months you listed for your mortgage payments skips January? Did you make one in January...is that your one payment? It sounds like your mortgage company may be trigger happy and obviously from what you have written they have the wrong information. I would contact them and quote chapter and verse what was paid from your account. With your Chapter 13 in semi-limbo and your seemingly comatose lawyer I can understand why you might be a tad bit upset. Your lawyer sounds very insensitive and unprofessional. Maybe you should go over to his office and do the up close and personal thing. I literally drove my lawyer crazy with phone calls about this and that and letters from the trustee, etc...didnt help but they need to get over it because that is what we are paying them for. You need to find out what is going on with the case and pose the questions and "concerns" you have about his handling of your case and his "suggestions?" specifically about getting a roommate. Easy for him to say. Regardless, you need to meet with him and find out what's what and asap. Before you do that I would call your mortgage company and talk to someone who let me see...knows something. Good luck..let us know.

Comment

Oh, I feel so bad for you!!! I got motion for relief from stay once and about had a heart attack, and I have a WONDERFUL attorney so I can imagine how you feel with one that is less than helpful.
      I have a thought----is it possible that if you were behind when you filed, they are counting the prior arrearages into the past due amount for now? I am not saying they SHOULD be, I just wonder if thats not what the problem is, and they are thinking they will remove the stay and collect all that is due them from the past...... ?????
      Let us know what you find out, ok?? I know how scary this is, believe me!

Comment

Originally posted by Lesa13
        Well, sure hope you guys are having a better day than me....

Came home to two pieces of mail:

1. Response from my attorney to my correspondence sent Monday, in which I said (a) please update me on the status of my chapter 13 - specifically, which creditors did file a claim against me (last day to file claims was 2/12) and I have heard nothing and (b) with my mortgage payment adjusting upward $200, I would like you to file a modification of my plan to take this into account or extend the plan to a 4 or 5 year plan instead of 3 year. I was proud of myself for being assertive, but not demanding or rude.

His response? List of creditors which is so convoluted, I can't figure it out and includes a creditor I don't recognize with an amount I don't recognize. Letter saying "here's your list" PERIOD. Second paragraph says "you need to let me know your tax refunds for state and federal because we may have to raise your chapter 13 payments, depending on how much your refunds are." HUH? I don't even know if I will get a refund or not! I don't know why he would say "I think we need to raise your plan payment" - no explanation. His final paragraph was "if your mortgage is going to be raised the way you claim, my suggestion is for you to get a roommate."

I'm sorry, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think this is an appropriate way to speak to a client, firstly, nor to someone who has asked you to do something (he gives no reason why he won't file modification) on their case. His "the way you claim" remark makes it sound like I am lying but he got the same letter I did saying my rate was adjusting - it is no big surprise!

Second piece of mail is - joy joy - a Motion for relief from stay from my mortgage company. I am ONE payme nt behind which I am going to make next Wed. But that's not what their info says. It says I am behind 4 payments with a payment figure of $775.65 (my payments have been $710.23). I have no clue where this $775 figure came from - never heard of it. Court date for this motion is April 3.

I immediately checked my bank account - yes, I made electronic payments in the amount of $710.23 on 11/3, 12/16, 2/28 and will finish up on 3/15. 4 payments. Of course, the jerk attorneys who filed all this paperwork tacked on their attorneys fees of $600 and $150 for costs - I assume the filing fee for the motion.

I am HYSTERICAL. First at my attorney, who really seems to be hateful and unhelpful. Again, I don't think it is appropriate to say to a client, who has told you in no uncertain terms "my house is the most important thing to me and why I filed Chapter 13" that "you should get a roommate." Even if I wanted a roommate, I have less than 800 sq feet of living space and 5 dogs - there's no place for someone else!

Second, this motion for relief from stay filed by the mortgage company has me completely flabbergasted. What has happened to all I have paid? If I was paying a "wrong" amount (and this was the amount told to me by the mortgage company's bankruptcy department), why would they have not sent me or my atty a letter saying hey sister, you are paying the wrong amount? Why did they tell the court I have paid nothing when that is untrue?

Help/advice/tips PLEASE. Here I thought I was doing good and this comes like a shot out of the blue.
        Wow, what a jerk of a lawyer you happened to find.

In my case, some time after the deadline for creditors to file, we received a list from the Trustee's office detailing who had filed or not filed, as well as the amounts claimed. We were supposed to look it over and make sure it was right. I did find a creditor with whom I was not familiar, so I called the Trustee's office. This creditor had been added to my account by accident, and would have probably remained had I not questioned it. The Trustee's office took them off and sent us an amended copy of creditors and claim amounts.

As to my mortgage company, they tried to pull some of the same, only to a smaller extent. In my case, when we filed our 13, Washington mutual sent us proof of claim papers, which were basically a copy of the papers we signed when we refinanced our mortgage with them. Their lawyer tacked on a 150 fee for drawing up the proof of claim, and WaMu tried to show it as an arrearage in the form of an escrow shortage. This caused the Trustee to object to our plan, from the time of our creditor meeting until the date of confirmation you see in my signature, because we are also paying our mortgage outside of the 13 payments. I took the account payment statement to my lawyer, and it was not until my mortgage company sent me my yearly escrow refund and statement of increase of payment for the coming year, that we were finally able to get it straigtened out.

I would call or show up at my lawyer's office on Monday with all my paperwork as well as that nasty letter, and ask for an explanation and help. After all, they were probably the first to get any money when your plan was approved. And I would call the mortgage company and ask for a payment history of your account. I had to fax my request to them and they mailed a history of the last year's payments and fees.

And mostly, try not to panic too much this weekend. Relax and enjoy something you like.

( and I noticed in another post you weren't allowed to show any pet expenses? We were able to claim pet expenses in the amount of 140$ month and our trustee was seemingly ok with it, as no objections were filed to our expense schedules.)
        Chapter 13 filed -8/12/04
        Plan approved- 7/11/05
        Date discharged--10-12-2007
        Date closed- 12/6/2007:yes2::yes2:

Comment

You guys are awesome

Thank you everyone for your kind and supportive words.
          My bank has confirmed all of my payments went through to mortgage co. Also, my attorney required 2 mortgage payments paid up front to HIM before he filed my chapter 13 paperwork (another one of his personal quirks) and one of those payments was made in November through the court to the mortgage company. So there were two payments made in November, one in Dec, one in Feb and one in March - I am (as far as I am able to tell) up to date. I think this is an internal error with my mortgage company - maybe payment not getting to right dept or something. My gut instinct is this will be settled and go away.

I did speak to another attorney yesterday about my current attorney's behavior and she mentioned the word "malpractice" to me . Also told me a few things that are good to know. One is that BK lawyers deal with incredibly upset, emotionally charged people and most of them try to somehow build a "wall" around themselves so they aren't on the phone/dealing with clients 24/7. That could be some explanation for my attorney's callousness. Second, the changes in the BK law have *gasp* required BK attorneys to almost double their work load in order to be able to do their jobs - this is not a happy time for them and most BK attorneys are not happy with the new laws and a PITA client is not going to be looked upon as someone needing help, but just another burden for an already "overworked" BK atty. So please, feel sorry for your attorneys everyone.

Finally, this attorney told me "if you are not happy with the disrespectful way he is treating you, you are within your rights to get another lawyer at any time" and she gave me the method to do that. I am going to try to get this house situation squared away and then see what's what. My atty has a chance to act right with this situation - let's see if he does! I agree with all of the comments that he has gotten completely paid (right off the top, too) and now he wants me to go away - too bad for him that's not how it works.

My primary goal is to keep my house. I don't know of any other way to do that right now but keep going with this 13 and hope things get better. The attorney I spoke with did say be prepared for my current atty to push for conversion to Chapter 7 mainly because 7s are quick and easy for the atty - but you can't keep your house w/that, right?

Comment

Lesa,

Why did you file a Chapter 13? How much equity do you have in your home?

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X