top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

forgive me if this is a no-brainer...can you go on any vacations at all during BK13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forgive me if this is a no-brainer...can you go on any vacations at all during BK13?

I am very new here...
    and my husband and I were talking about things..and wondering if it were possible at all to take our kids on any kind of vacation during chapter 13 before it's discharged....nothing extravagant of course....and we really never go anywhere anyway...
    just wondering.
    thanks in advance

Michelle

Why not? Camping is not expensive. As long as you make the trustee payment on time.

Comment

Exactly! You don't have a "spy" behind you! Just make necessary payments and you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by pcmbates View Post
        I am very new here...
        and my husband and I were talking about things..and wondering if it were possible at all to take our kids on any kind of vacation during chapter 13 before it's discharged....nothing extravagant of course....and we really never go anywhere anyway...
        just wondering.
        thanks in advance
        If we can afford to save enough for a trip, and still have savings, I say go for it. We hope to do the same, but only as long as we have a very decent nest egg for emergencies. And I mean that. We have to have enough saved up for a new furnace or car engine repair, etc. before we even consider going away for a weekend much less an extended period of time!
        Filed: 11/10; 341: 1/11; Confirmed: 2/11
        49 payments down, 11 to go...

Comment

We are in the same situation. As long as we have an emergency fund for unforseen issues, we plan on saving some more for a small trip. We also camp a lot. That's a bunch cheaper that a motel at the beach and the kids enjoy it just as much. We can take a 3 day weekend camping trip for less than a hundred bucks.
          Filed Ch 13 10/7/10
          341 11/5/10
          Confirmation 12/15/10

Comment

Yes you can - but please take me with you.
            Filed Ch. 7 11/8/10: Survived 341 Meeting 12/13/10 Report of No Distribution!! 12/14/10Received UST Presumption of Abuse!! 12/15/10 UST states Dismissal is Inappropriate! DISHARGED!! 2/22/11

Comment

While on Chapter 13 my wife and I spent a week in Mexico and a 4 day weekend in Vegas. We just saved for about 18 months to go on both trips and paid everything with cash. It also didnt hurt that we have friends with timeshares so we didnt have to pay for lodging.

I will tell you a good way to get a cheap trip is to sign up for a timeshare presentation. You can get discounted or even cheap rates on everything and when they try to pitch you you can tell them that you are in Chapter 13 and you are not allowed to purchase such a thing. My wife and I went on several of those in Mexico and got over $700 in cash plus a lot of tickets to events and other stuff.

Comment

Yes you can, but as the others mentioned, you need to make savings your first priority. Once you have an emergency fund set aside, then feel free to spend some money on a vacation. Get creative, rent a house with another family for a week--take your own food so you don't have to eat out. I know here, renting a campsite is just as expensive as a hotel room, so don't just assume it's cheaper, shop around. RJR is right, the timeshare presentations are a great way to get a free stay somewhere!
                Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
                0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I get a lot of points from travelling for work, so paying for a vacation is not really my problem. It is just hard for me to break away from work. Our last vacation was three years ago and the one before that was 18 years ago other than a few long weekends.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X