Settled Debt listed as claim.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settled Debt listed as claim.

I settled a debt a year before we filed our CH 13 and they show up as a claim on or list. Should I bring it to the attention of the attorney or just let it ride as they are way down on the list to get paid. It may make a $5 difference at most per month. Or is it acceptable for them to make a claim for the remaining ballance that was written off and reported to the IRS.
    11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

I would ask your attorney about it.

Comment

Do you have proof that the debt was settled? If you do, then it does not matter what the creditor does. Even if you have no proof, it still doesn't matter what the creditor does, because if they file a claim, your trustee will pay them out of your plan and any remainder will be discharged.

Comment

I have all the written correspondences and the tax form (1099 I think it is) they provided to the IRS. So they took the tax advantage already so they would be double dipping unless they spend the money to amend. So maybe I should just to keep them in check.
        11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Oh yah, better consult to people in real.
          Automatic Cash Secret ; http://bit.ly/gofCjc

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
            I have all the written correspondences and the tax form (1099 I think it is) they provided to the IRS. So they took the tax advantage already so they would be double dipping unless they spend the money to amend. So maybe I should just to keep them in check.
            Give copies of everything you have to your attorney and have him/her file an objection to the claim.
            Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
            I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2 View Post
              Give copies of everything you have to your attorney and have him/her file an objection to the claim.
              That is correct. Provided you have supporting documentation, this one will get kicked out rather easily.

Good luck.
              All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
              Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

I don't care if it only costs you a nickel, you settled the debt, you incurred the tax liability associated with it. They shouldn't get a penny more out of you. Dispute the claim.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X