One last Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One last Purchase

My wife and I are divorcing and signing our Chapter 13 tonight. My lawyer told us to quit paying our credit cards and the bk should start sometime in June.
    How would it look if I made one last credit card purchase say like for a laptop??

It would look just like what it is.....a luxury purchase 90 days before filing. Your lawyer should also have advised you to not make any purchases with any cards unless it is for necessities like food, gas and etc. I personally would not use the cards at all if it could be avoided, much less risk of problems with a trustee for sure.

One question.......if you are signing tonight, why would it begin in June. From all I have read here, you start paying as of your 341 meeting even if not confirmed. They are usually held in about 30 days. You should speak to before using those cards for anything.

Just my opinion from reading this board for over a year. Good luck!
    Filed CH 7 4/15/11
    341 5/23/11
    DISCHARGED & CLOSED ON 7/27/11

Comment

Looks like fraud to me.......
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

Ditto the others. That is an obvious case of fraud.

Also, like pp stated, your first payment will be due in 30 days.
        Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
        0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

I would be not so bold as to say "fraud" as other have, but, why are you and your wife divorcing????? Hmmmm
          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I'm a little hard of hearing and unfortunately I don't hear everything. Probably, my attorney told me not to use my credit cards at all, but I didn't hear. So I accidently used one for groceries and when I went in to sign something, he asked me if I had stopped using credit cards. I said no, and he went ballistic...Later I went home, and had to change a few automatic online things to debit cards.

I was never asked about any of my credit card charges at my 341, but maybe because they were fairly small charges.

Comment

Originally posted by lillymarlene View Post
              I'm a little hard of hearing and unfortunately I don't hear everything. Probably, my attorney told me not to use my credit cards at all, but I didn't hear. So I accidently used one for groceries and when I went in to sign something, he asked me if I had stopped using credit cards. I said no, and he went ballistic...Later I went home, and had to change a few automatic online things to debit cards.

I was never asked about any of my credit card charges at my 341, but maybe because they were fairly small charges.
              There is a bit of difference in purchasing food if you have no other means. You have to have food. You don't need to have a laptop. Our OP is asking the Forum opinion to go out in a last "splurge" for an expensive item less than a month to filing. I doubt he would consider paying that amount back after a discharge. Can you spell AP? Aaaaaay Peeee as in Adverse Procedure. It's a bit easier than spelling D I S M I S S A L. 'Hub

P.S. I sure hopes he rethinks all his decisions.
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                I would be not so bold as to say "fraud" as other have, but, why are you and your wife divorcing????? Hmmmm
                I have no problem at all with using the word fraud here. The OP is filing for bk, he knows he is insolvent, and yet he wants to buy something on credit that he has no intention of paying for? Fraud is a very mild term for this.....
                All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Originally posted by frogger View Post
                  I have no problem at all with using the word fraud here. The OP is filing for bk, he knows he is insolvent, and yet he wants to buy something on credit that he has no intention of paying for? Fraud is a very mild term for this.....
                  Frogger I thought you would pick up on the satirical point I was making. Reread the sentence. Hmmmm. I wonder?

For a first post, he has not been lurking around here long or that question would never have been asked. A successful and painless bk=total honesty. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    Frogger I thought you would pick up on the satirical point I was making. Reread the sentence. Hmmmm. I wonder?

Hi Hub.

Comment

Cornfused, it would look very bad. It would look like you purchased a non-necessity item last minute with no intention of ever paying for it.
                      Filed Chapter 7 on 2/22/11, 341 meeting held 3/30/11, relief of stay on foreclosure 4/12/11, relief of stay on auto 5/17/11, Discharge on 6/6/11!

Comment

Cornfused, I agree with everybody else here that I wouldn't do it, that it would look bad. But, I'm just wondering do you have a business? Some things I believe, can be considered a business expense. A new laptop is probably a little too expensive though.

Then, there is the matter of using a credit card whether the expense is "valid" or not. Last September after I mistakenly purchased groceries using a card, my attorney sure made it plain to me, to NOT USE CREDIT CARDS again, no matter how necessary the item.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X