Child's college savings plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Child's college savings plan

I HAVE MY CHILD ENROLLED IN A COLLEGE SAVINGS PLAN, WHERE YOU LOCK IN TUITION RATES NOW FOR THE FUTURE, I PAY A PREMIUM EVERY MONTH AND HIS COLLEGE WILL BE PAID BY THE TIME HE IS 14....WHAT HAPPENS TO THIS IN CHAP.13? PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T HAVE TO STOP PAYING THIS!!! ALSO, I HAVE RETIREMENT SAVINGS OF 4%..USUALLY ABOUT 50-100$ PER PAY PERIOD DEDUCTED FROM MY PAYCHECK..WHAT HAPPENS TO THAT AND DO I HAVE TO STOP THAT? AND CAN I RE-AFFIRM A DEBT WITH MY CREDIT UNION AT WORK? PAYMENT OF 98$ COMES OUT OF MY CHECK ONCE A MONTH...SORRY SO MANY ?S..JUST A BIT OVERWHELMED ABOUT STARTING THE PROCESS...THANKS

Originally posted by 911mom View Post
    I HAVE MY CHILD ENROLLED IN A COLLEGE SAVINGS PLAN, WHERE YOU LOCK IN TUITION RATES NOW FOR THE FUTURE, I PAY A PREMIUM EVERY MONTH AND HIS COLLEGE WILL BE PAID BY THE TIME HE IS 14....WHAT HAPPENS TO THIS IN CHAP.13? PLEASE TELL ME I DON'T HAVE TO STOP PAYING THIS!!! ALSO, I HAVE RETIREMENT SAVINGS OF 4%..USUALLY ABOUT 50-100$ PER PAY PERIOD DEDUCTED FROM MY PAYCHECK..WHAT HAPPENS TO THAT AND DO I HAVE TO STOP THAT? AND CAN I RE-AFFIRM A DEBT WITH MY CREDIT UNION AT WORK? PAYMENT OF 98$ COMES OUT OF MY CHECK ONCE A MONTH...SORRY SO MANY ?S..JUST A BIT OVERWHELMED ABOUT STARTING THE PROCESS...THANKS
    Your retirement savings (401?) can normally stay intact. Your childs college savings may be district specific, ask your attorney. My personal opinion is that you will probably not be able to include that as an expense, but if you can squeak it out of other areas of your budget (food, clothing, etc) you can probably pay it on your own.

There is no reaffirmation of debt in a Chapter 13. For secured debt, you either pay or lose the property. Unsecured debt is treated within the plan and paid the same for each creditor. If the credit union debt is secured and you want to keep the property then it will be paid as normal in your plan. If it is unsecured then it will get the same percentage as your other secured creditors, and your auto payments will stop.
    Filed Chapter 13 02/2006 - Confirmed 05/2006 - Discharged 09/2011
    I'm not an attorney. My replies are merely suggestions or observations, not legal advice. As always, consult with an attorney before making any decisions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X