No announcement yet.

College?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior colleges are very smart as many of you have pointed out. Be sure that you know where you want to end up, then ask for a course transfer list from the ending college so that you know 100% of the courses the ending college will accept. For example, our daughter is taking 60 hours at the local junior college....she would need 64 hours for an associate degree however, only 60 hours will actually transfer so there isn't the need to take that extra class simply for a piece of paper that her Bachelor Degree will trump.

Do note.......onlythe credits will transfer from the junior college and not the grade. So, take as many of your 'harder' classes at the junior college as you can. (For example, if you are bad at math but your degree requires 2 gen ed courses of math take them at the junior college. No worries if you get a 'C' because it will not affect your overall GPA upon graduation with your Bachelor's. When a new grad fills out a job app and the employer wants to know the GPA, that 'C' won't ever factor in!!!)

A few other notes.....if the student did not do well on the ACT, an associate degree usually trumps the ACT score. So, if you have major test anxiety, skip it, go to the junior college, process the degree then apply to the 4 year college/university!

To make the student look more desirable, get as many college credits in at the high school level. See if your high school offers dual credit classes. If so, take those instead of the honor or AP, advance placement, classes because they 100% will transfer....not 'hoping' that the AP class transfers.

I have more info if anyone needs it........

Comment

Don't forget, you can turn in the FAFSA January 2nd....off of estimated taxes. The earlier you turn in the FAFSA the higher amount of free money you can get........'The Early Bird Gets the Worm' theory. Seriously. The longer you wait, the more $ is gone from the pot of $ available. Do other schools and colleges point this out? We have not found that to be the case but that is great if they are!! :-)

The award letter can be negotiated. Again, has anyone else had a high school counselor or college financial aid officer tell you that? We have not run across that but it could simply be our area.

During the base year, any/all 401(k) contributions are looked at as ordinary income. After the base year that does not come into play. Soooo, for strategic college financial planning, STOP 401(k) contributions during that time. (Base year is Jan 1st of high school junior year all the way through December 31st of high school senior year.) Do other high school counselors tell you this? The one in our area do not but we only dealt with one high school so not a large sample size.

Any college classes completed before the student finishes high school is a good thing, financially speaking. Why? The student is not considered a transfer student. There is usually more $ for a student who is not considered to be a transfer student. In our child's case, she will have 60 hours done at the local junior college, some dual credits through the local high school & most done at the junior college campus, before she graduates from high school. She went to a part time high school status since she is taking classes that the junior college instead. When she graduates from high school, she will then go to the 4 year college as a freshman but will start in on her junior classes. The free $ being offered to her is awarded over a 4 year term. She can pick up graduate courses or take basket weaving or whatever during the last 2 years. The goal is to meet a ton of people, travel abroad, and enjoy her 4 years at college on the schools dime. :-)

Hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by HomeNow2 View Post
        Junior colleges are very smart as many of you have pointed out. Be sure that you know where you want to end up, then ask for a course transfer list from the ending college so that you know 100% of the courses the ending college will accept. For example, our daughter is taking 60 hours at the local junior college....she would need 64 hours for an associate degree however, only 60 hours will actually transfer so there isn't the need to take that extra class simply for a piece of paper that her Bachelor Degree will trump.

Do note.......onlythe credits will transfer from the junior college and not the grade. So, take as many of your 'harder' classes at the junior college as you can. (For example, if you are bad at math but your degree requires 2 gen ed courses of math take them at the junior college. No worries if you get a 'C' because it will not affect your overall GPA upon graduation with your Bachelor's. When a new grad fills out a job app and the employer wants to know the GPA, that 'C' won't ever factor in!!!)

A few other notes.....if the student did not do well on the ACT, an associate degree usually trumps the ACT score. So, if you have major test anxiety, skip it, go to the junior college, process the degree then apply to the 4 year college/university!

To make the student look more desirable, get as many college credits in at the high school level. See if your high school offers dual credit classes. If so, take those instead of the honor or AP, advance placement, classes because they 100% will transfer....not 'hoping' that the AP class transfers.

I have more info if anyone needs it........
        My grades did transfer from the junior college to the major university. It is included in my total GPA. The university normally breaks down the GPA at the university and your total GPA for the courses that were transferred. So yes in the university I am attending my GPA transferred and is shown on the universities transcript. Also depending on the program you go into your ACT score will still count even with an Associate degree. My program requires a 22 on the ACT or I have to take the Praxis 1 exam. I have an associate degree, but this does not matter.

Just be sure to look at what each university does on transfer courses, but normally your grades will be counted toward your GPA and shown on the new universities transcript as well.
        Chapter 7 filed on 4/23/2010
        341 meeting on 5/28/2010
        Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Good to know that Exployer1234. Thank you for teaching me that. Again, this could simply be from the college that she is going to that it does not count.

Comment

I have a Masters from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. I transferred in courses from my bachelor degree and they did not affect my overall GPA at Case nor did they show up on my transcript.

Same thing happened to me with my associate to bachelor degree....transferred the credits, none showed up on the ending college transcript other than 'course credit' and the transferred grades did not factor into the overall GPA with the university I graduated from.

Could be a midwest thing? Who knows. Interesting though that different colleges/universities do it different. Thanks for sharing so others will learn and contact their college/university to ask.

Comment

Here is a part of my actual transcript. I don't know it may be based on the university you are attending. I inserted the name community college instead of my actual community college name

200830: Community college
              Subject Course Title Grade Credit Hours Quality Points R
              ART 1110 Introduction to Art A

ENGL 1020 Rhetoric and Composition B

HIST 2010 U.S. History to 1865 A

MATH 1006 Intermediate Algebra B*

Attempt Hours Passed Hours Earned Hours GPA Hours Quality Points GPA
              Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              200840: Community college
              EDUC ELEC Foundations of Education A

ENGL 2410 Literature of the Humanities C

HIST 2020 U.S. History since 1865 B

MATH 2150 Math for Elem&Mid Sch Tch I B

POLS 1010 American Government A

POLS 1010 American Government W

Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              200920: Comm Colle
              CHEM 1010 Chemistry and the Environment C

ENGL 2420 World Lit from the Renaissance B

MATH 1130 College Algebra B

PSY 1010 Intro to Psychology A

SPAN 1010 Elementary Spanish I C

E
              Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              200930: Community college
              CPSC 1000 Intro To Computing A

SPAN 1010 Elementary Spanish I A

THSP 1090 Public Speaking W

Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              200940: Comm Colle
              CHEM ELEC Intro to Chemistry II B

ENGL 2280 Children's Literature A

MATH 2100 Introductory Statistics C

SPAN 1020 Elementary Spanish II B

Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              201020: Comm Colle
              ANTH 2080 Cultural Anthropology A

ECHD ELEC Intro To Early Chld Education A

ECHD ELEC Infant And Toddler Care B

ENGL 2290 Literature for the Adolescent A

THSP 1090 Public Speaking A

Current Term:

Unofficial Transcript
              INSTITUTION CREDIT -Top-
              Term : FA2010
              College: Health, Education,Prof Studies
              Major: BS Secondary English
              Student Type: Transfer Student
              Academic Standing: Continued Good Standing
              Additional Standing: Dean's List
              Subject Course Level Title Grade Credit Hours Quality Points R
              ECHD 2420 UG Adolescent Dev B

ENGL 3820 UG Contemporary English Grammar B

ENGL 3830 UG Writing Beyond the Academy A

ENGL 4650 UG Hist of the English Language B

Term Totals (Undergraduate)
              Current Term:

Cumulative:

Unofficial Transcript
              Term : SP2011
              College: Health, Education,Prof Studies
              Major: BS Secondary English
              Student Type: Returning
              Academic Standing: Continued Good Standing
              Last Academic Standing: Continued Good Standing
              Subject Course Level Title Grade Credit Hours Quality Points R
              ENGL 2130 UG Survey of American Literature C

ENGL 2230 UG Survey of British Literature B

ENGL 3340 UG Shakespeare B

ENGL 3850 UG Persuasion & Propaganda B

Term Totals (Undergraduate)
              Current Term:

Cumulative:

Unofficial Transcript
              TRANSCRIPT TOTALS (UNDERGRADUATE) -Top-
              Total Institution:

Total Transfer:

Overall:

341 meeting on 5/28/2010
              Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

the reason is if you trandfer with a completed degree then the gpa doesn't tran.sfer...if you are transferring credits then the gpa does transfer.

I have a Masters from Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. I transferred in courses from my bachelor degree and they did not affect my overall GPA at Case nor did they show up on my transcript.

Same thing happened to me with my associate to bachelor degree....transferred the credits, none showed up on the ending college transcript other than 'course credit' and the transferred grades did not factor into the overall GPA with the university I graduated from.

Could be a midwest thing? Who knows. Interesting though that different colleges/universities do it different. Thanks for sharing so others will learn and contact their college/university to ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Chicken123 View Post
                  Our daughter is looking forward to going to college, only problem is we are 2.5 years into our chapter 13 and i am so afraid we or she will not be able to get any type of financial aid. Anyone have any ideas on where to begin looking for help?

I don't want her to miss out on her life, because of her parents missteps, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She has been applying for scholarships but so far nothing has panned out.
                  I didn't file a 13, but my son and I have started researching colleges. He is GOING, no matter what my finances are! I have found his guidance counselor at high school to be immensely helpful in letting me know which schools offer aid-based scholarships. I spoke with several of his teachers in his favorite subjects and they had recommendations. Also, my kid is taking AP classes so he will go into college with credit for lower-level classes, so he can take more advanced classes "on our dime" so to speak.

One thing that I know will help any child with their college dreams - be a well-rounded person. My son is all academics, doesn't have any athletic skill whatsoever, but he is in Band and is doing tutoring of younger kids at our community's Head Start program so he can show some community service on his college applications. Kids who need scholarship money can't be just "jocks" or "brains" or "whatevers" in order to stand out to get those grants.
                  Filed Ch 7 Pro Se 11-18-2010 341 Meeting 12-16-2010 Discharged 2-15-2011
                  New Job 7-2011

Comment

Exployer1234....great job with your grades! Keep it up!! Thank you for sharing....now I can help my daughter further.

IamOld, thank you. That makes sense now!

Good luck to everyone :-) !!!

Comment

Exployer1234....great job with your grades! Keep it up!! Thank you for sharing....now I can help my daughter further.

IamOld, thank you. That makes sense now!

Good luck to everyone :-) !!!
                      Thank you. Last semester was a hard semester. I had a professor that I did not see eye-to-eye on some of my projects I submitted. So in tern I received a C in his class and it lowered my GPA. I just have to make sure I receive straight A's this coming semester. Plus I have worked full-time while I have been going to school, and I have a family to take care of. It has not been easy, but I would tell anyone who wishes to go back later in life to go for it. It has been a challenge, but I am learning more now. I appreciate my education now. Plus I was going through my BK while attending school and working full-time. I thought some days i was going to scream.
                      341 meeting on 5/28/2010
                      Discharged on 8/19/2010

Comment

Originally posted by Exployer1234 View Post
                        Plus I have worked full-time while I have been going to school, and I have a family to take care of. It has not been easy, but I would tell anyone who wishes to go back later in life to go for it. It has been a challenge, but I am learning more now. I appreciate my education now. Plus I was going through my BK while attending school and working full-time. I thought some days i was going to scream.
                        Wow thats tough. I'm in my late 30's and got laid off a year ago. We had the opportunity to take advantage of a federal program called the Trade Adjustment Act. This pays for school for up to three years and extends unemployment compensation for the duration of this time. I jumped on the opportunity since I had started going back to school very part time a couple of years before I got laid off and I am basically finishing up what I already started. I'm just able to go full time - almost getting paid to go to school.

Its a lot easier now that I have some life experience than it was right out of high school when I didn't care and had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Since I went back, I've gotten all A's, except for a B in Algebra. But I've also been occupied with helping my fiancée deal with some serious medical issues that lands us in the hospital emergency room usually several times a week. Now if only I could figure out what to do to get help with the 2nd mortgage with BofA, but I'll save that for another post...

Comment

When I went to school, I had to put my parent's income on the FAFSA and they were granted Parent Plus Loans and I was granted student loans in my name only. They did not accept them because they told me beforehand they wouldn't be able to help me with school. I thought that was fine, I was so excited to start college that paying on student loans five years from then was the last thing I cared about. $32,000 later that I'm still paying on... I still don't care that my parents weren't able to help me. It would have been nice, but I know they couldn't do it. I'm sure your daughter will understand. It might also give her the incentive to finish school and get a good paying job so that she can pay back all the debt she will incur.
                          4/29/2011 - Filed Chapter 13, have to pay a massive payment each month!
                          6/16/2011 - 341 meeting
                          7/21/2011 - Confirmed!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X