??Ch 13 and payment to Cap One Auto Finance/Ascension capital

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

??Ch 13 and payment to Cap One Auto Finance/Ascension capital

Guys - advice please - I sent my payment to Ascension Cap/Cap One Auto Finance (it is outside of the 13) due on the 9th Aug. Shame on me - forgot to mail check when I usually do, so I was rushing and mailed it regular mail NOT USPS Priority like usual. Thing is, it should have cleared by now. Can I wait till Monday the 15th??

How long do you think I can/should wait before calling in a payment to them? (THey take payments by phone.)

AND if I do that I HAVE to put a stop pay on the check I issued, as I can't pay double. So when they get that, regardless of what I tell them, I'm sure they're going to try to cash it, and it will be returned to them, stopped.

I am presuming when I do this I should advise lawyer??

Please advise!!!

Thanks!!!

First.. calm down ... you'll be ok . Second - call the bank, let them know the check number, date mailed, amount, etc., for them to please note your account re: payment, and that you will be checking back tomorrow as well as Monday to see if it was received. You want to talk to their BK dept - while its outside of your plan, it is still part of your BK and generally all accounts go to the Loss Mit Dept (even if current)...

As to putting a stop payment on the check - why? Its not lost...right? It's only been a few days since you mailed it so give it at least 10 business days. If you stop the payment, you will have to pay the fee to do so, and yes...you will have to pay your car payment again, so you'd need twice the amount available in order to do it. You cant add that $ back in from the first payment until the check turns up - or you shouldnt - and the reason is in the next part

Found this out when we had a lost check to our mortgage co last year. When you stop payment on a check, it usually only voids the check for a certain period of time (ours is 6 months) so somehow if the check reappears after that 6 month window - the bank will honor it and cash it. Not sure if many people know that, but thats how the majority work - didnt used to be that way, used to be you stopped payment they voided the check forever. Of course that was in the days before automation took control when tellers actually had to look at the checks.

Comment

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Ascension Capital is the Bk "outsourcer" for Cap One Auto. It was a personal check so if stop that and replace it with payment over the phone, I don't think I'd be paying it twice...

And yes, I know...this mailing thing is really working my nerves - I do need to calm down... :-) You are quite right!

So...uncharacteristically for me, I'm going to wait until tomorrow and call them to see if they got the check. If not, I'll ask them to wait till Mon - as you suggested - and then IF it's still not there, then will stop check and give them $$ by phone.

Does this sound ok to you?

(also, I have a small bank...they void checks forever... :-)

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
      First.. calm down ... you'll be ok . Second - call the bank, let them know the check number, date mailed, amount, etc., for them to please note your account re: payment, and that you will be checking back tomorrow as well as Monday to see if it was received. You want to talk to their BK dept - while its outside of your plan, it is still part of your BK and generally all accounts go to the Loss Mit Dept (even if current)...

As to putting a stop payment on the check - why? Its not lost...right? It's only been a few days since you mailed it so give it at least 10 business days. If you stop the payment, you will have to pay the fee to do so, and yes...you will have to pay your car payment again, so you'd need twice the amount available in order to do it. You cant add that $ back in from the first payment until the check turns up - or you shouldnt - and the reason is in the next part

Found this out when we had a lost check to our mortgage co last year. When you stop payment on a check, it usually only voids the check for a certain period of time (ours is 6 months) so somehow if the check reappears after that 6 month window - the bank will honor it and cash it. Not sure if many people know that, but thats how the majority work - didnt used to be that way, used to be you stopped payment they voided the check forever. Of course that was in the days before automation took control when tellers actually had to look at the checks.

Comment

You need to ensure you bank is "forever" on a stop payment - find it in writing before taking someone's word for it - as well as what would happen if you stop payment, but make a phone payment the same day; would you be required to have double the $ in the account. We were told double the $ was needed just in case the check was already in the system but not being done via ACH since the bank was a small local bank. Many local banks still work the "old fashioned way"

Call your bank and ask how you should proceed, but also call Cap One. Better safe than sorry!

Comment

Will do! This is also a small bank, and they clear checks actually between 10AM to 12PM; so if it's not withrdrawn by 12pm on a day, it's not there. So on that I'm pretty comfortable. Also, when/if I need to make a phone payment I'm going to round up the amount so it isn't exactly the same as the check.

Re six months - it's on their form...

Also, I'd still rather wait until tomorrow...just in case... :-) Or do you think that NOW I should "worry" and call today...

You need to ensure you bank is "forever" on a stop payment - find it in writing before taking someone's word for it - as well as what would happen if you stop payment, but make a phone payment the same day; would you be required to have double the $ in the account. We were told double the $ was needed just in case the check was already in the system but not being done via ACH since the bank was a small local bank. Many local banks still work the "old fashioned way"

Call your bank and ask how you should proceed, but also call Cap One. Better safe than sorry!

Comment

call today dear

Comment

call today dear
              Sigh...will do.

Comment

meant call as in ask HOW it would work.. not call and put a stop payment today - then call Cap One and let them know about payment made, etc... and you'll be calling back on Monday to check. Just wanted to clarify...

Wait until Monday and see where you're at.

ETA: might also want to ask Cap one how it would work if you put a stop payment on the check, but made the payment over the phone with them.

Comment

meant call as in ask HOW it would work.. not call and put a stop payment today - then call Cap One and let them know about payment made, etc... and you'll be calling back on Monday to check. Just wanted to clarify...

Wait until Monday and see where you're at.

THANKS!!! So you still think I should call Ascension TODAY and not give it one more day?

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                    THANKS!!! So you still think I should call Ascension TODAY and not give it one more day?
                    Yes... call bank and Ascension.... but wait until next week before you pull the trigger w/ a stop payment.

Comment

Yes... call bank and Ascension.... but wait until next week before you pull the trigger w/ a stop payment.
                      Thanks again!

Comment

you're welcome You are going to give yourself unneeded grey hair if you keep worrying like you are my friend. You still have years to go with this CH. 13 - slow down a bit and enjoy the flowers ;) Remember that with any bill that is going out of your local town, figure anywhere from 3-10 days for it to get through the mail system depending on where its going. You just mailed it out 2 days ago - give it some time m'dear.

Comment

you're welcome You are going to give yourself unneeded grey hair if you keep worrying like you are my friend. You still have years to go with this CH. 13 - slow down a bit and enjoy the flowers ;) Remember that with any bill that is going out of your local town, figure anywhere from 3-10 days for it to get through the mail system depending on where its going. You just mailed it out 2 days ago - give it some time m'dear.
                          THANKS!!!! I have to tell you, I haven't paid bills by mail in ages!!! Hence my paying for Priority mail with tracking....except of course this time.

By the way - gray hairs are showing up already!!!!!!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X