Emptied emergency fund again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emptied emergency fund again

Our cocker spaniel took a bad fall and hurt her hip earlier this month. Vet bill was $386.00. No serious injuries, but she couldn't walk for a few days and we had to have her kenneled at home. Then our 2004 Chevy Malibu was due for state inspection and wouldn't pass due to a bad steering rack and pinion and tie rod ends. I did the work myself for $250.00. The garage wanted over $500.00 for the repairs. I'm fortunate to have the tools and know how to do the work on our vehicles. Have saved thousands over the years.

Can't stress enough to have some type of emergency fund to fall back on for things that you don't think about or true emergencies. We had saved $700.00 since January this year and we sure needed it. Have to make a few sacrifices now to get it built back up.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

I hope I am able to save something when the time comes.

Comment

Good thread. What if you had not that fund? Our cat showed as ill today. Cost a C bill and found out an infection due to a bite. Let's put it this way, a stray cat to me is nothing more than a dumb squirrel I would not attempt to avoid as I hit them anyway. However, a pet become part of the family and therefore, are important. The idea of the quality of life means that those things that give pleasure are worth the expense, even if others may see them in other lights.

My wife was beside herself when we saw her pet in pain. It was worth every cent to make my wife feel well and the cat in better shape.

Many things have a price. Many things are priceless. You must figure out what things matter to you. 'Hub
      If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

It has taken a good bit of sacrifice, but we've managed to get a $1,000 emergency fund and are now working with YNAB to get a full month's salary as a buffer. Then it will be on to the 3 to 6 month buffer. It is a very reassuring feeling to know if the bottom drops out on us again (as it has so many times before), we'll be on somewhat steadier ground.

It takes time and persistence...but it can be done!
        Any opinion expressed is based on personal experience and/or research. i.e.

Comment

Yes, my little Avatar, and name inspiration, was very ill. I had not realized it because she always acted normally, though a bit lethargic the past week. It has been so hot this past week, that ANYTHING would be lethargic. But when she did not get up and walk on my head at 5:00 AM as normal, I knew something was wrong. Then I found a large open wound on her cheek. So into the vet we went. I thought she had been attacked and bitten the night before. But the vet said that she had had this wound and another about a week before, that abscessed internally, and broke open the night before.

So after a good wound cleaning and an antibiotic shot, she is on the mend and doing much better. I am abashed that I did not realize her situation earlier. She sleeps with us every night.

I have to start building up my part of our emergency fund again. I was glad that I had that $100.00 bill in my secret place in my wallet. Angelina's bill was $98.70.
          "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Originally posted by IamIrene View Post
            It has taken a good bit of sacrifice, but we've managed to get a $1,000 emergency fund and are now working with YNAB to get a full month's salary as a buffer. Then it will be on to the 3 to 6 month buffer. It is a very reassuring feeling to know if the bottom drops out on us again (as it has so many times before), we'll be on somewhat steadier ground.

It takes time and persistence...but it can be done!
            Consumer Advocate, Clark Howard, talks incessantly about the need to have an Emergency Fund starting at $1,000.00, or something that will last a family for three months, should the direst of events happens. And he laments about how so many Americans are in debt, and are living from day to day on 'fumes'.....

Comment

@ ACH & AC : hope your kitty is doing better and my prayers for a quick recovery. (hugs) Getting ready to take ours in about 20 minutes as well (ear issue) and hoping it isnt going to cost over $200 *doubtful though* Hate when those little furballs get sick, hate it even more when you can see the pain in their face

@ andy: Hope yours is doing better also and will have a speedy recovery. You're correct, having that $ set aside is important and every little bit helps. We went through the same thing earlier this year with a whopping 2K vet bill within a 1 week timeframe. Luckily our vet agreed to take payments - wasnt easy but we managed.

Comment

Hi Pandora, I hope your fur-baby will be okay! {{HUGGS}} and Andy, I hope your baby is much better also.

Comment

Best wishes to both kitties!!!!!

Comment

Thanks ACH and Iam. Vet wasnt as bad as I thought it'd be - less than $120. Ear infection... Silly kitty.... its amazing how many arms & legs they suddenly "develop" (part spider?) when you're trying to get them in their kennels to leave LOL! Strong little boogers!

ACH - will your kitty let you wash its mouth (like with a q-tip) using warm salt water to help heal the wound faster? Worth a try. We always have to do our cat when he's sleeping and out cold - that way I can look in his mouth w/out forcing it open.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                      Thanks ACH and Iam. Vet wasnt as bad as I thought it'd be - less than $120. Ear infection... Silly kitty.... its amazing how many arms & legs they suddenly "develop" (part spider?) when you're trying to get them in their kennels to leave LOL! Strong little boogers!

ACH - will your kitty let you wash its mouth (like with a q-tip) using warm salt water to help heal the wound faster? Worth a try. We always have to do our cat when he's sleeping and out cold - that way I can look in his mouth w/out forcing it open.
                      No, she won't. I like to try to bathe her because she is very flea allergic, and sensitive to the flea remedies too. It takes both of us when I do bathe her and I have to be dressed in a full long-sleeve sweatsuit and sit with her in the tub. It also took both of us to get her into the carrier when we took her to the vet. Part spider for sure--and very strong in spite of being sick.
                      Last edited by AngelinaCat; 08-17-2011, 10:00 AM.

Comment

you have to be IN the tub with her? Ok, handsdown - you win the grand title of Most Devoted Owner My cat would be like this first:

and this about a minute later:

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora View Post

You gotta be kiddin. If you are a masochist and suicidal, that would be a death of a thousand claws. Slow and painful. Not the injury but the fact that the cat would lick the wounds to death. No baths for our cat. We survived with only one pint of blood each. Enough of the flea bit, she gets to keep the fleas, we shall keep our lives. 'Hub
                          Last edited by AngelinaCatHub; 08-17-2011, 02:05 PM.
                          If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X