Sold 3rd car.. did I have to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sold 3rd car.. did I have to?

About two years ago I sold a third car. it was a total toy. it was a two seater fun car. it was old... but in phenomenal shape. i sold it for about 13k. tried to use that to get out of debt... didn't work.. and now fast forward a couple years.. i'm right back at the point where i need to file BK... all the 13k did was postpone the inevitable.

now I look back and wonder if I should have just filed 2 years ago and kept the car.

it's all water under the bridge at this point.. but it sickens me to wonder if I could have saved my toy car by filing BK.... if I was going to do a 13.. and I owned a 13k car outright... would I be forced to sell it, or would I have been able to keep it.

i can't imagine that I could file BK and still have a three car household.. but then again, since it was not worth a whole lot.. maybe it would have slid under the amounts that are exempted???

it will make me puke if I could have kept it. i put a lot of time and effort into it.. and really sold it b/c I felt like I "had to".... at that point, I knew little about BK and was not wanting to admit that BK was what I needed to do.. now I see that I probably have no other choice...

anyway... would i have been ble to keep it or would it have had to go???

CA has a wildcard exemption of around $21k-ish, plus a motor vehicle exemption of around $3300. Those figures were probably a bit lower 2-3 years ago, but you probably would have had enough wiggle room to have kept the car assuming it was paid off.

BUT, you will get nowhere looking backwards. Coulda woulda shoulda will drive you crazy if you let it. All you can do now is think about NOW and about the future. If you keep fretting over the past, you will ruin your present and future. Believe me, we all have regrets and changes we would make if we could go back, but we can't, so it's pointless to even think about it.
    Filed Chapter 13 on 2-28-10. 341 completed 4/14/10. Confirmed 5/14/10. Lien strip granted 2/2/11
    0% payback to unsecured creditors, 56 payments down, 4 to go....

Comment

yeah, I know... but I would had liked to have kept it.

i'm trying to stay focused...... there are so many financial blunders I've made in the past....I'm hoping that a BK will be the catalyst toward making more sound financial decisions in the future...

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X