top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quit job to become Ch7 eligible / reduce income??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Espo

I thought there was a standard allowance for groceries. You mean you can go over the standard allowance and then put that into your means test?

I think I spend more than the allowance and I feel really guilty about that. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. That's such a killer for the food budget. Sometimes when I go through the bill I realize that apples and cantaloupes are the real killer prices on the receipt.

Comment

I quit my job 2 years ago due to a medical issue when in reality I should of let my employers initiate letting me go. Somehow they convinced me that if I took any more time off and since I my FMLA was exausted that I would need to resign. Not only did that prevent me from getting unemployment it also prevented me from any kind of protection from the ADA. Long story but the lesson is...never quit your job, let them initiate the separation.

Take it from someone who has been working temporary at 2/3 her income for the last 2 years with NO health insurance. Do not quit your job. I make too much money working temporary to qualify for the state insurance and private insurance is too expensive. Finding a temporary job was not easy and the outlook on finding a permanant job is even worse. I just started a new temp job in August and she is hoping that they have the budget to hire me soon however that is just a "maybe". I am lucky that I have at least found temporary work pretty steadily for the last two years and that is enough for me to file for chapter 13.

Think of what is the worst case scenario would be if you quit your job and being self-employed didn't work out. Then double that. Think about how you would live and how hard it would be to replace that government job you have now. Only you can decide if it is worth that risk.

As far as the groceries go, I don't think you can just put any amount on your means test. I think some people may lowball it and put less than what is allowed but just because you may spend $1,500 on food doesn't mean they will allow that. *correct me if I'm wrong here*
      Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Originally posted by mountanddo View Post

As far as the groceries go, I don't think you can just put any amount on your means test. I think some people may lowball it and put less than what is allowed but just because you may spend $1,500 on food doesn't mean they will allow that. *correct me if I'm wrong here*

Correct...

Comment

Originally posted by moe View Post
          Espo

I thought there was a standard allowance for groceries. You mean you can go over the standard allowance and then put that into your means test?

I think I spend more than the allowance and I feel really guilty about that. We eat a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables. That's such a killer for the food budget. Sometimes when I go through the bill I realize that apples and cantaloupes are the real killer prices on the receipt.
          Well, my point is to be smart about this, because prices are up.

It is never good to be dishonest, unless you are in politics or banking or some upper management job.

Comment

Excellent point! I think the fact that decent food is expensive is - in my book - an intentional failure in this nation. Feel guilty about buying decent food for your family? Never.

I think we should be mad as hell for the fact that the Goldman Sucks of the world are "investing" in food commodities thus driving prices up, as if natural disasters weren't enough, and "the government" isn't doing a darn thing about it.

Espo

Comment

Sometimes when I go through the bill I realize that apples and cantaloupes are the real killer prices on the receipt.
              Ok..sorry but for some reason I laughed when I read this - and I can relate...but need to ask What kind of apples & cantaloupes are you buying?! LOL

Good trick - go to farmers markets or a Pick-Your-Own place if you have any available. Here (in our stores) a 5 lb bag of Gala or Empire apples is approx. $4, yielding anywhere from 8-10 apples per bag. Cantaloupes run about $2.99, but I've gotten them on sale for $1.99 each.

If you're buying apples by the lb, getting those huge ones, then yes..you're going to pay upwards of $10 for 4-5 apples.

Comment

I've got to down your way :-) In the "big city" four or five apples will run you about 5 bucks. Smallish cantaloupes are now like 2.50 each...farmers market - sometimes cheaper, usually MORE expensive...fresh fruit is insane in pricing...but so is everything else, and I buy store brand whenever possible.

Originally posted by Pandora View Post
                Ok..sorry but for some reason I laughed when I read this - and I can relate...but need to ask What kind of apples & cantaloupes are you buying?! LOL

Good trick - go to farmers markets or a Pick-Your-Own place if you have any available. Here (in our stores) a 5 lb bag of Gala or Empire apples is approx. $4, yielding anywhere from 8-10 apples per bag. Cantaloupes run about $2.99, but I've gotten them on sale for $1.99 each.

If you're buying apples by the lb, getting those huge ones, then yes..you're going to pay upwards of $10 for 4-5 apples.

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                  I've got to down your way :-) In the "big city" ...
                  HEY! LMAO... I have a "big city" 15 mins from me! Whatcha tryin' to say there Iam...??

Comment

HEY! LMAO... I have a "big city" 15 mins from me! Whatcha tryin' to say there Iam...??
                    ROFL!!!!! Methinks we may have a different definition of "big city" :-) :-) Look, for me - anything with less than say 500,000 people is a small town :-)

Hey - my ideal house - at least a mile or two from ANYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

*removes straw from mouth* LOL (yes..I'm joking..)

Well c'mon down....I've got sweet tea brewin' :P

You're too funny! We moved from a big city out here...and dont regret one second of it! Love it here...

Comment

AH!!!!! No not the SWEET tea!!!! Good grief, my spouse and kids love it, and I cannot stand ANY sugar in my tea (seriously). I would love to live away from two hour commutes...as matter of fact, I just saw a job ad from "major university" for a neat job in my field I think your way...will apply asap, even though it is a SUPER long shot. Heck, it doesn't cost anything to apply!

*removes straw from mouth* LOL (yes..I'm joking..)

Well c'mon down....I've got sweet tea brewin' :P

You're too funny! We moved from a big city out here...and dont regret one second of it! Love it here...

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
                          Excellent point! I think the fact that decent food is expensive is - in my book - an intentional failure in this nation. Feel guilty about buying decent food for your family? Never.

I think we should be mad as hell for the fact that the Goldman Sucks of the world are "investing" in food commodities thus driving prices up, as if natural disasters weren't enough, and "the government" isn't doing a darn thing about it.
                          Actually, we would be living with a much higher quality of life, if the government did nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by espo1357 View Post
                            Actually, we would be living with a much higher quality of life, if the government did nothing.
                            espo, I disagree - the gov't did nothing in the 1920's - crash; nothing domestically in the 2000's - crash; and so on and so on.

The 19th Century in the US - because of nothing - was nothing but boom and bust cycles, endlessly...

Comment

You could ask to have your hours reduced for a year or two in order to get your total earnings down below the "presumption of abuse" threshold.

Comment

Originally posted by kornellred View Post
                                You could ask to have your hours reduced for a year or two in order to get your total earnings down below the "presumption of abuse" threshold.
                                Isn't this cutting your nose, to spite your face?

Its not like they make the 13 unbearable.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X