Yeah me! Receiving $1,500 from HOA for violation of the automatic stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah me! Receiving $1,500 from HOA for violation of the automatic stay

So, I'm aware that HOA fees when surrendering property is "fuzzy" - doesn't stay with the house like property taxes and usually incurred after filing.

Our HOA bills annually. At the time we filed, I specifically asked my attorney to name the HOA with the amount of the 2009 dues (approximately $1,400) in the bankruptcy. They filed a claim and the trustee denied it and indicated "surrender" (not typical, I guess, but hey, he's the trustee).

The HOA really stepped in it because they kept after me after their claim was denied - my lawyer dealt with them back in the summer of '09. They then sold to a new management company about a year ago. THEY send me a bill for '09, '10, '11 and late fees. Gave them the bk case #, attorney name, "any further attempt to collect this debt will be deemed a violation of the automatic stay" language in email, told them they had my permission to respond that they received the information. They did, in writing. Now maybe I couldn't have gotten away with that if they were billing only the dues that came after ('10 and '11) but they were billing for everything along with late fees. They say, "we understand", 60 days later I get a letter threatening lawsuit.

It all went to my attorney who filed the complaint for violation. Not only did they settle, but my attorney got them to state that we are not liable for any of the past, current, or future dues regardless of when BoA actually forecloses as part of the settlement.

I am so happy that this issue can't come back to me, period. It will the final piece of liability to the house - BoA can take as long as they want now as far as i'm concerned. Last mortgage payment was in February of 2009.
    over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
    Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

HEY!!!! This is so KEWL!!!! 'Hub and I did not have to deal with an HOA situation in our BK, but I have read many 'horror stories' and many varying opinions about the discharge-ability of these things, while trying to assist posters.

In my opinion, your SUCCESS deserves a very SPECIAL Dance of Victory!!! Here you go!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And here's a 'have atya' to those Pesky HOA characters:
    "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Now, having posted that congratulatory message to our OP, I MUST take this opportunity to warn the rest of you with HOA issues, that this outcome seems to be a rarity.

Do your research thoroughly, and have a good, competent attorney working for you.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

LOL....yeah, take that, HOA. I agree with the word of caution - if the HOA had done their homework and just billed me for '10 and '11, possibly a MUCH different outcome. They stepped in it by never taking '09 off of the bill. Silly them.
        over $100K cc debt,$20K taxes,$332K mortgages/value $190K,surrendered
        Confirmed, $801/month 56 down,4 to go

Comment

This is a great story! Good for you!
          Non-Consumer Chapter 7
          December 2011

Comment

!!!WAY TO GO!!!
            Gotta love a happy ending

Comment

GREAT NEWS!!!! And frankly anytime anyone wins against an HOA is a victory!!!

Congratulations!!!!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X