Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BK-13, Mortgage and employment relocation

Hey all.

I have what seams to be a complicated question.

I have been in chapter 13 for about a year now, 4 years to go. My home and its mortgage are in the bankruptcy estate because of late payments prior to me declaring.

I was informed very recently, in the last 2 days, that my employer will be closing my department and some may be offered jobs at a new location, several states away. I'm currently in South Carolina, the new positions will be in New Friggen York (no offence to NYorkers, its just a LONG away from home for me)

My question is, Does anybody have any clue what i would face if I decided to relocate to NY from SC, how would my mortgage' be handled. Because I was told I cant sell property while in bankruptcy, and any changes that need to be made against that would require trustee approval and more fees.

this is basically a situation where, I could decide not to move, but would have to find something locally, but that is almost unlikely, which would leave me unemployed. So, its not a situation of want, its one of necessity.

Also, another question, slighly related. After I was declared in C-13, My wife left and we are now going trough divorce, the nature of the divorce would make her responsible for debts at my choosing, if I choose to. She hasn't made any payments yet (because she's a lazy #####) If I take relocation and divorce is finalized (eventualy) would anybody know how that would affect the bankruptcy?

-The Falcon

You'd best check into housing costs (and other costs of living, including insurance and taxes) before you make that move. You could be in for huge sticker shock.
    Good luck whatever you wind up doing!

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

Yea, Ive done some research about the location that I might relocate to, It seams to be within my limits, if not a slight better on my wallet (just not so much convenience)

Comment

Hello TheFalcon - as a former NY-er, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by NYC - there are a LOT more people, life is faster paced, but basically people are very very decent (and I EXCLUDE the Wall Street crowed) - there are plenty of suburbs and/or Queens :-) ...

Regarding your move - I expect that this isn't the first time that a C13 person has had to move for a job!!! Your atty should help you navigate through this - what may very well help you is that the median income in NY is a LOT higher, and the allowances (IRS) are a lot higher - depending on where you wind up...so that will help offset the loss of the mortgage viz your 13 AND may even qualify you for a conversion to a 7 since you no longer have to worry about keeping the house. So in other words you seem to have choices...talk to BOTH your BK atty AND your divorce atty asap...also, there are PLENTY good BK atty's in NYC!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IamOld View Post
          Hello TheFalcon - as a former NY-er, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by NYC - there are a LOT more people, life is faster paced, but basically people are very very decent (and I EXCLUDE the Wall Street crowed) - there are plenty of suburbs and/or Queens :-) ...
          Thank you for the info, the projected area is a good bit away from NYC, Syracuse is where the "proposed" area is. Which from what Ive found out, the area is very similar to what I'm used to.

I may be in SC now, But I am a yankee, originally from PA. So Cold weather isn't a problem for me. and I do have plans to contact my atty asap on monday.

Comment

My bad...everyone from nyc assumes that ny=nyc! Syracuse is REALLY nice!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X