Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 Questions, if you will?

Hey, all!

Have a couple of questions We will make our final 13 payment December of 2013...so not too much longer, thankfully!

Questions:

1) We owed taxes from last year. A good bit, actually, and have been paying the government. We still owe about $1500 now. This year, we are looking at getting a little back. Just about $1800 or so. Will our trustee (we are in GA) allow us to use that money to pay what we owe the govt. or will they insist on keeping it and we still have to make payments?

2) Last January, I was in a car accident where a man ran a red light and t-boned my van. My van was totalled. I had a pretty decent case of whip lash that I was in therapy with for four months. I did go to an attorney to make sure the other company paid my bills. I didn't sue these other people, but my lawyer said that I was entitled to pain and suffering. So, they are trying to settle. It is around $16,000 they they sent off but the attorney said that we would probably only end up with between $8,000 and $12,000 and they get 1/3 of it. Will I be expected to turn that over to the trustee? We could really, really use new appliances now. My washer, dryer and dishwasher have all decided that they wanna start dying on me now. Obviously I will be asking the attorney on Monday, but I am curious on what opinions y'all may have here for the weekend

Thank you so much!!

Your attorney would definitely have the best info however, Georgia's bankruptcy exemptions appear to offer some help for you on Question #2:

Personal injury recoveries to $10,000
    Ga. Code Ann. ยง 44-13-100 (a)(11)(D)

I don't know if your attorney will have to amend your petition or if you are automatically covered by the above exemption. Even if it costs a couple hundred dollars, if you get to keep 10k or your portion (not sure how the Personal Injury lawyer's 1/3 would work as being part of the 10k exemption) of the money, it sounds as though it would be worth it.

I hope this helped. Let us know what your attorney says on Monday. Good luck!
    Last edited by ValleYum; 01-22-2012, 02:51 AM.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X