In big trouble with 13!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by road warrior View Post
    159515951 - I guess your post really rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe you didn't comprehend everything in my original post. Either way, in your words, it is my life and I'm pretty darn sure I'll be out of my bankruptcy and have a home and vehicles paid for before you do.
    In case you haven't noticed, this forum is for advice, help, and learning from others' mistakes - not condescending remarks such as yours.
    I didn't mean to offend -- I just didn't agree with your course of action. I think it's perfectly reasonable to state opinions here, lest others view your solution as a good one.

You're in bankruptcy and you added significant debt to your house. I can't be supportive of that, but it's nothing personal.

Comment

I'm not privy to the OP's case, but I'm guessing that lost income is perhaps why the Trustee required $23k of the original $40k.

If it was a worker's comp injury with time out of work - and its anything like one I was a part of years ago - medical claims are paid directly by the employer's workers comp insurance. The employee is paid 2/3 of their average regular wages (for the 13 weeks prior to the accident) while unable to work but with no taxes/FICA. Ultimately a settlement is to compensate the employee for any longterm loss of ability. In my case I was medically deemed partially disabled in my lower body, but nothing extreme. Not being able to be extremely physical/athletic didn't exactly change my life. Playing professional sports, mountain climbing, etc. never were in my plans anyhow. Dealing with rehab & recovery was a challenge, but other than occasional aches & pains I have no recurring issues. (I broke my legs in an auto accident while working - over 9 years ago - I assume my occasional aches & pains are similar to a case of arthritis.)

Originally posted by keepsmiling View Post
      Congrats on the GREAT news.
      But I just have to ask.... did your income go down while you were disabled during the surgeries? Was there additional medical expense? Or has that already been subtracted from the 40K?
      Gotta cover all the angles ya know.
      ~Staci
      Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

Originally posted by road warrior View Post
        No, I'm adding debt to my home to pay off the $23,000 I didn't pay to the trustee for my work comp settlement. Plus, I'm done 6 months early and still keep all my assets. Best of all, I won't go to jail for bankruptcy fraud. Thanks for your encouragement 159515951.
        It seems to me that finishing your plan six months early is actually saving you something in the neighborhood of $6600 because you are no longer making those plan payments. I'm so glad for you that you managed to find a solution. Congratulations!
        Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
        Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X