Tax returns...trying to decipher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax returns...trying to decipher

So, I do our taxes through Turbo Tax. I got everything together, and emailed my attorney with the following questions:

1. Do you need to see them before I file?
    2. Does the Trustee need to see them before I file?
    3. Will the IRS tax the full refund because I still owe them (but they are a priority lien in our BK).

His reponse was "No to all three questions"

I e-file the taxes, and check in a few days later on "Where's My Refund?" - it says if all goes accordingly, we will have the refund by March 13th (at which time, it would go immediately to our emergency fund).

I checked in again this morning - and now it's saying that after review, etc., that it will be 6 weeks.

Does anyone else see something odd with this? My attorney apparently does not.....

I have a friend who runs a tax ministry thru his wife's church. (His wife is the minister.) From some of what he has told me, the IRS has kept changing things - regarding how long the refunds will take, which software they're using to file, and so on. He filed his own return at the beginning of Feb. A few days later it showed a refund date of a week or so later. Then it wasn't in the system at all, then it showed a date about a month out. Ultimately he got his refund about 4 weeks after he filed it.

My point: its the IRS, a HUGE system where no one really knows what is going on. Don't fret over it. Your status could easily change a few more times before its all done.
    ~Staci
    Not an attorney, and never played one on tv. My responses are based on my own experiences & personal opinions.)

Comment

If the IRS has filed a claim to be paid during your Chapter 13, they will not intercept your refund. We filed BK in June 2011 and owed back federal taxes for 2008. The IRS filed a claim (priority) and we received our 2011 refund direct deposit within a month from filing.

However, my attorney's paralegal did request a copy of our filed taxes so that they could be sent to the trustee.

Also, do not let the "where's my refund" system bother you. My status changed three or four times. There's been a lot tax fraud recently so the system has been bogged down a bit causing delayed processing and refunds.

Comment

Lo and behold - guess what was in my bank account as of 6am today

Going STRAIGHT into the emergency fund!

Comment

psirasmom: we got the same answer from our attorney on the questions you asked because we have IRS included in our 13. we did our taxes electronically on 1/17/12. Checked a few days later and there was a message that info wasn't available. Checked about 2 weeks later and there was a message that stated we would get our refund by 3/6/12. Checked last night and there is a message now that says it will be 6 weeks after filing date. Now we have no idea when we'll get the refund if at all.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X