Pay off a 401(k) loan 90+ days before filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pay off a 401(k) loan 90+ days before filing

I know I've seen this answered before, but I can't find the link. I would like to ask a quick question, please:

I have two 401(k) loans that I'm paying back. The balance on one is $7500, the balance on the other is $1100. I'm considering filing in August (another attorney meeting next week.)

If I were to pay off the $1100 401(k) loan now... waiting at least 90 days before filing... is that a preferential payment? I seem to remember somewhere that paying off a 401(k) loan is considered paying myself.

Thanks, everybody!

No, because it's not an unsecured debt. Only an unsecured debt can be a preferential payment.
    filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

You should be fine, so long as that is your only issue. If you have other "borderline" items, then you may start running afoul the "totality of circumstances" analysis.

Comment

You might be better off placing those funds into some other exemption bucket, rather than paying off the loans.
          401k loan repayments are a deduction from your DMI in the chapter 13 means test and schedule I/J calculation of what your plan payment would be.
          You could pay taxes, federal student debt or put the money into a non deductible IRA instead. Or just spend it on something you need that you would
          rather not budget for in a ch13 (like new water heater, appliance, tires, tree removal, etc).
          filed chapter 13..confirmed...converted to chapter 7...DISCHARGED!

Comment

HHM/Catleg: good points. With the rental houses, I'm probably already going to be pushing a borderline area in the house valuation (the property taxes are based on boom value, but the neighborhood comps are MUCH lower.)

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X