Lack of Feedback - rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of Feedback - rant!

I have an attorney that I have had from the start. We have filed a couple motions during the last year and a half, and getting information as to where we stand on the motion is like pulling teeth. The attorney's basic philosophy is, if we need anything we'll contact you.

I am the type of individual that likes to be informed as in has the trustee approved our motion or does the trustee or any creditor have any problems with our motion. Where are we in the filing of orders. Just a quick email saying. We filed the order this morning, would be great...I just feel like I am being kept in the dark because they are so overloaded. The para-legal told me after I had to ask that she filed an order this Tuesday, come to find out, the Trustee's office said they filed it Wednesday. It sat for Tuesday and Wednesday and never moved. Come to find out the "ONLY" individual at the trustee that can sign orders has been out for most of both days. What's going on when they don't have backup or someone else that can keep the system going. Heaven forbid she get sick! It would have been nice for the para-legal to check up and see what the holdup was and either shoot me a quick email or give me a call and say, that the individual was out and it might be "X" day when it gets signed.

Maybe I'm being too OCD, but I like to be informed on a very important phase of my life and especially when it deals with my finances.

Does anyone else have an attorney that keeps them informed, or are most attorneys leaving "us" in the dark?
    (10/28/10 - Filed) (12/09/10 - 341), (1/20/11 - Confirmed)
    08/11/11 - Spouse filed Divorce
    10/11/11 - Payments amended

You have a right to be angry. Are you aware of PACER? Any papers to date that have been filed will show up there. There is plenty about PACER here if you do a search.

Unfortunately you're not playing a new tune regarding your lawyer. This is a very common lack of action. Our lawyer was the same and we actually moved to go pro se not knowing that we were a couple days of being discharged. We were so uninformed, and she was so incompetent and non-informative of the process. Perhaps going there and telling the greeter that you will not leave until you have your questions answered. Remember, he/she is your employee, not the other way round. 'Hub
    If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by steveok View Post
      Maybe I'm being too OCD
      That is a possibility! Chill out and remember that NOTHING in your bankruptcy process is an emergency.

As 'hub stated, you can find out everything that is going on by checking pacer. You can even sign up to receive the free ECF notifications via email, so you won't even have to check on pacer.

It doesn't matter if your attorney files the paperwork today, tomorrow, next week, or next month. As long as it is filed by the deadline, it's just as good as filing early. There are timetables that are followed, and they are firm.

While we all understand your impatience, you must always remember this:

Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.
      All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.
      Bankruptcy is a process, not an event.......

Comment

We have filed a couple motions during the last year and a half, and getting information as to where we stand on the motion is like pulling teeth. ?
        Filed a motion?

Hurry up and wait.

Nothing happens until the motion gets ruled on, and then you will find it on PACER!
        All information contained in this post is for informational and amusement purposes only.

Comment

Get PACER

This is NOT your attorney's problem, there is nothing your attorney can do to speed up the process

Comment

I hate to say but maybe I didn't state my issue clearing or others are missing my point.

I have PACER, but it doesn't show when motions are sent to the trustee for their trustee's approval, or is the trustee relaying any problems regarding my case, motions, orders to the attorney that is an issue, the only thing that I am aware PACER shows is the final produce...When the motions is filed, When the order is approved. I want to know if there are problems inbetween, and ensure that things are being done on a timely basis whereas; it does not "appear" that my attorney has been filing orders as soon as they were able to. I guess I want better customer service from the attorney...is that asking too much??? In my line of work, I strive on giving top customer service, keeping my clients informed of where we are in a process, and expect the same from others. I hate to be left in the dark!

I know that the court system is going to move at their own pace, but I feel I have a right to be kept up to date and some things do not show on pacer!
            Last edited by steveok; 07-20-2012, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I hate to say but maybe I didn't state my issue clearing or others are missing my point.

I have PACER, but it doesn't show when motions are sent to the trustee for their trustee's approval, or is the trustee relaying any problems regarding my case, motions, orders to the attorney that is an issue, the only thing that I am aware PACER shows is the final produce...When the motions is filed, When the order is approved. I want to know if there are problems inbetween, and ensure that things are being done on a timely basis whereas; it does not "appear" that my attorney has been filing orders as soon as they were able to. I guess I want better customer service from the attorney...is that asking too much??? In my line of work, I strive on giving top customer service, keeping my clients informed of where we are in a process, and expect the same from others. I hate to be left in the dark!
              I agree, but not the 'real World' with lawyers, sorry to say. Being around here for as long as I have, I've heard of this situation too many times. I have no solution for you except to camp on his door step and demand better service. 'Hub
              If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

Thanks it reminds me a couple times that I had a house built. The builder was excellent. He was busy building other home, but took the time to call me and let me know what stage we were in, when the next set of individuals would be out, when we should have a phase finished, really great customer service and I never had a question because if there was a problem, glitch, inspection problem, etc....HE KEPT ME INFORMED right away!

I think it all goes down to customer service and how overloaded an attorney is and what level of client interaction they are willing to provide to their clients. I would much rather pay a little extra for "personalized" service and have someone keep me abreast of any issues that might come up, and when things are being accomplished...

Comment

I agree. 'Hub

Comment

Originally posted by AngelinaCatHub View Post
                    I agree. 'Hub
                    I don't.

Provided your attorney is getting the documents filed before deadline, you have nothing to complain about.

You mention that things don't show up on PACER? I would disagree with that as well. Documents will show up, problems will show up, motions will show up, and rulings will show up.

Bankruptcy is not about "customer service". It's about getting the job done.

Why should your attorney drop everything he's doing and cater to your OCD? Perhaps he has a certain day of the week or month that he does certain things for all of his cases? Many times, an office will flow better if you batch things and do them together.

Instead of bouncing all over the place, many attorneys and offices do things according to a system that they have worked out. Once again, as long as it is done before deadline, you have no reason to complain.

And as far as your statement of paying extra for the "customer service", I'm going to reserve my comments on that one.

After all, you have filed bankruptcy....................

Comment

Why should your attorney drop everything he's doing and cater to your OCD? - Because THAT is what I paid them several thousand dollars to do!

And as far as your statement of paying extra for the "customer service", I'm going to reserve my comments on that one.

After all, you have filed bankruptcy...................That doesn't put me as a a second class citizen and forfit my rights to customer service!

Comment

The only issue here is that the attorney may not have set proper expectations as to how things will work.

But it is unrealistic to think your attorney is at your beckon-call...even people who pay hundred's of thousands of dollars of year on lawyers don't expect that, so why should you for your $1000-$2000 payment....it is just unrealistic.

In any event, it sounds like you are blaming your attorney for something that is entirely out of his control (the actions and office practices of the trustee and court), as you can see from the reaction of most on this forum, that is not fair. Now, your attorney probably should have explained to you (maybe he did, but you are too OCD to care), that when he knows something, you will know something. For example, if a motion is filed, there is set response period. You, nor your attorney, will know if anyone has a problem with it until an objection is filed, which would show up on PACER.

Comment

MODERATORS: I ask that this thread be closed, whereas, I am feeling this is turning into an execution rather than a discussion.

I still stick by my feelings that my attorney is doing me an injustice...

Stephen

Comment

HHH...I feel that your comments: "maybe he did, but you are too OCD to care" is TOTALLY out of line....especially for a MODERATOR!

Comment

Knowing attorneys as well as I do, I can tell you this.
                              Everything is done according to deadlines. That is, the most crushing deadlines are handled first. And there is ALWAYS a crushing deadline of one kind or another.
                              It would not be reasonable to hire someone whose sole job is to keep clients informed as to when their paperwork has been submitted.
                              Be patient, hang in there.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X