Skipping one payment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Skipping one payment?

I am 2-1/2 years into my 5 year plan. Things had been going pretty well, but this year has been really rough. One of my dogs got very sick in January and I spent over $4k trying to save him. That was all of my savings and I lost him anyway. I've been plugging along since then with no safety net, but now my car needs some work and I just don't have the money. My car is pretty important though, I have an hour-long commute to work one way. I have to take care of it.

That said, I am not sure what my options are. I can't borrow money from anyone. I thought about requesting permission to skip one plan payment (that's all I would need), but I'm not sure I want to go that route. Obviously, I will speak to my attorney if I determine I have no other choice. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever done this? I checked my TT's website, but there is no form for this like there is for buying a car or similar other things. I have been doing well staying under the radar and I don't want to poke the bear, so to speak. Anyone been in a similar situation? What did you do?
    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
    341 meeting - 4/2010
    Confirmed! - 6/2010

Chances are good that you will not have your case up for dismissal if you contact your attorney and explain the situation. However, you will be required to make the missed payment up somehow.

Comment

Yes, speak with your attorney. We were forced to ask for a foreberance of our payments for 3-4 months back when we filed our 13 years ago. (DH had to go to rehab). Our lawyer suggested we offer to pay $100 (as a "good faith" payment each month rather than the full payment, and then we paid an additional $100 per month after we resumed payments until we were caught up. It IS possible, but your attorney should be able to tell you if he thinks the trustee will agree to this.

We were lucky in that we did this "off the books", rather than going back into court to modify the plan.

Good luck!
      You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing

Comment

you need to ask for moratorium

Hi I have done this last year. Had car problems to. All you have to do is ask for a moritorium and how much you need. I think the trustee told me they coud do up to 3 months but all i did was two. All it did was extend my time to be done by two months. I didnt have to send in any extra payments or anything like that it just stretched it out, which kinda sucks now because I should be done now but have two months to go. Hope this helps.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X