Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Escrow Surplus being kept

Hello everyone!

I have a somewhat confusing question. We are 2 years into a 3 year Chapter 13 plan. So far so good. Things are looking up more and more everyday. We received a our mortgage escrow analysis in the main the beginning of February. Good news on two counts. 1) We had a huge surplus of $1919 that should (key word should) be refunded to us since the escrow was grossly over estimated for 2012. 2) our escrow payments for 2013 have been reduced by nearly $100 a month. The bad news however, we were 2 months behind in our mortgage payments due to an illness and subsequent surgery for my husband. He's all better now. Since we were 2 months behind for January and February and the escrow analysis runs March thru February of each year I contacted the mortgage company and told them that if I include the escrow portion with both payments we would contribute to the overage by $562 so I was only going to pay principal and interest for Jan and Feb. They told me to send in a letter stating that and include a copy of the analysis so that they would be forced to look into it. The analysis did say that if we were delinquent then the surplus would be retained until we became current. So I sent in the letter and 2 principal and interest payments.

I called on February 28th and confirmed that the payments posted and we were current. I called everyday last week for a status on the surplus refund and each time they confirmed we were current. When I called again on Friday I was told that because our account was delinquent they were going to hold the funds. I asked again if we were current and she said yes but no. As a whole our account was delinquent but as far as our payments we were current. I didn't understand what she meant so she said it could be because of prior missed payments. I assume they mean the mortgage arrears that were included in the Chapter 13 trustee payments that they received. I explained that the arrears had been pain in full as of December 2012 so at this point we were literally current in all aspects. She said that there was nothing that could be done and that they would hold the funds until the bankruptcy is completed....which is for another year!!! So if they are going to hold my surplus can I adjust my escrow payments myself throughout 2013? It's not like there will be a huge shortage at the beginning of the analysis since they are sitting on nearly $2000 worth of escrow right now. That $1919 was the equivalent of 8 months of escrow payments!!!

Apparently nobody has and insight to this. It's ok. I will wait for my attorney to eventually respond. I just thought maybe someone had been through this before with a chap 13 and an escrow surplus.

Comment

You cannot adjust anything yourself, that would be bad. You need to continue to pay the contractually due mortgage payment, Principal, interest and escrow. If you don't you will be in default of your note and the chapter 13 plan.

The rep is technically correct, until your BK is discharged or the trustee has paid all the arrears, your account remains in a quasi default status.

However, retaining overpaid escrow funds can be a problem. The only way to know is to look at the note and deed to see what is supposed to happen. Strictly speaking, escrow funds are YOUR money and there are various rules regarding what is supposed to happen to escrow overpayments. The bank is not allowed to apply the overpaid escrow to principal, interest, late fees, or charges. The starting point is to review the default provisions of the note and security instrument to see what those documents say about funds held in escrow.

Comment

Thank you for the response. I will look into that and find out. It's just annoying that's all. I'd rather them do away with escrow payments for the remainder of the year if they aren't going to put them to good use. I appreciate the help and insight.

Comment

I would also look and try to confirm why there is that much of a surplus in the escrow account. In other words make sure that the bank didn't screw up and not pay something that they should have. Don't want the county coming after you cause the bank screwed up and didn't pay taxes or something like that. So look at the detail of the escrow account and make sure that everything that is supposed to be being paid is being paid.

At one point (long before BK) my bank had not paid my homeowners insurance... then issued me a check because I had a significant surplus in the escrow account..... then tried to instate their "default" insurance on me because I was not maintaining homeowners insurance and tried to get me to pay some outrageous price for that. Ended up getting it all sorted but it was a mess. In this case ended up really being the insurance companies fault cause they somehow screwed up the billing info on my account, they were sending the bill to the wrong bank and then sending reminders to me to the wrong address....

Comment

I had extra escrow a couple times before bk, they insisted that I could not keep it in my escrow account. Sure enough after I spent it my taxes went up, then I was short. 3 times and one was about 800. Also the same thing happened to me with the insurance company. I kept asking are you sure this is mine. Now I have extra somehow again and they will not apply it to anything because they think I made a half mortgage payment in which I did not. Anyway letter states because you are in bk basically I can't do anything about it and mortgage company will not talk to me because of bk. My attorney faxed 3 times stating that they could talk to me, talk about feeling like a reject. Now I certify letter any taxes I receive just to have proof that I sent them. I could relate! Terrible when you really need someone to listen and help you. Good luck! I hope it work out for you.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone! Yes I did double check that our homeowners and our taxes were in fact paid last year so I honestly think that they just over calculated and also probably had a surplus from the prior year that must have carried over. I am still fighting them over this. My lawyer has yet to respond. I guess I'll just wait it out and see what happens. I'll post an update if I ever get one.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X