When to bring up BK13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to bring up BK13?

I am in the process of applying for jobs. I noticed that on a recent on-line application, it said that they will pull a credit report and other reports to determine my "fitness and character" for the job. I am in Oregon, where it is against the law to use credit scores in the application review process. I know that they will also do criminal background checks- this is an upper level job in public education- but will they examine public records, and thus my BK13 will show up? I know they can't discriminate because of this, but I wonder what it will look like for my "fitness and character?" Should I bring it up, or wait until they ask? Can they ask about it? Is there still such a stigma attached to BK for employment?

I'm sure they use a separate agency to do the background check, so is it better to just wait and see if the agency asks?

I feel it may be better to explain my circumstances to them, as it is not really unusual nowadays- bought a house in 2008 with a bad loan, made 3 years of payments on time, and later a crooked modification that made our house cost much more than when we paid for it 4 years earlier,husband lost his job and got rehired for an hourly position for much less pay and no overtime, then the bottom fell out- savings gone, dishonest credit counselor that never paid anything but took our money, we almost got sued because of it and had to declare BK13. Now, 2 years into our BK13, and doing much better in so many ways. It is just the thought of BK that people don't understand, and it makes me paranoid.

I am very qualified for the positions I am applying for, but afraid I will be rejected because of my BK record. I know they won't disclose it to me that way, however, the thought is there.

Has anyone had an experience like mine, and how did you approach the topic? Did BK prevent anyone from being hired, even when very qualified for a job?

I am trying to move on, but our BK always seems to keep me from thinking I am moving forward instead of back.

Thanks so much.
    Last edited by changed1; 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM.

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X