question about number of payments, I live in Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

question about number of payments, I live in Michigan

I was reading on here that in MI your payments start earlier than when its confirmed, for ex. my first payment was 8/2010 my case was confirmed 11/2010 so does that mean my "end date" would be 11/2015? These are things that were never discussed with my lawyer and I still feel very uneducated about this whole process.

I am also in MI and your payments end at confirmation and not filing! I filed in June of 2008 and was confirmed in August of 2008....my 5 years of filing was in June and I am still paying and the closing process will begin Aug 15. (five years from confirmation)

Comment

Don't know about Michigan, but I paid for 66 months in Ohio. It's not the norm in Ohio to go by confirmation vs. filing date, but in my case I still owed some of my base after 60 months so my trustee gave me a choice between paying a lump sum at the end or extending my payments past the 60 months, which he said we could do if we considered confirmation date instead of filing date, so we went with that option. I have heard in Michigan that the 60 month clock starts at confirmation, which sounds really unfair if there are no extenuating circumstances like in my case.
      Filed CH 13 September 17, 2007
      Plan Modified July 8, 2009 from $1100/month to $400/month due to change in income, finally discharged in July of 2013!

Comment

I am also in Michigan. The clock begins at confirmation... not filing. Your end date would be 11/2015. Welcome to the forum!
        Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
        Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Wouldn't it also be related to the balance owed on the BK, so this would be case by case anyway.
          11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

Originally posted by spidge View Post
            Wouldn't it also be related to the balance owed on the BK, so this would be case by case anyway.
            I think that would only matter if you had priority debts that had to be paid or if you were in a 100% payback. Otherwise no.
            Filed Ch 13 Feb 9, 2012, 341 meeting Mar 15, 2012, Confirmed Apr 5, 2012
            Anticipated freedom party Apr 2015

Comment

Originally posted by TheBajan View Post
              I think that would only matter if you had priority debts that had to be paid or if you were in a 100% payback. Otherwise no.
              There are many variables, so only an attorney within his/her district would be helpful.
              11/23/'10-filed ch 13. 1/6/'11-341, confirmed. Below median. Plan completed 11/30/2015. DISSCHARGED 4/4/2016.JP

Comment

My chapter 13 filed in michigan Jan 2008 confirmed may 2008 discharged June 2013...

Comment

You Michiganders should make some noise about that! Seriously!
                  It is definitely unfair. One wonders how that interpretation came about.

Then again, NJ would allow us about a buck and change for housing exemption. :P
                  (yes, I know we use federal lol...but still)

I believe BK laws should be more uniform. It's positively bizarre and grossly unfair how widely the laws are interpreted.

Keep On Smilin'

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X