top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disabled child is going to start receiving SSI payments.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disabled child is going to start receiving SSI payments.

Hi everyone. I am almost four years into our Chapter 13. My daughter - who is developmentally disabled - is going to start receiving SSI payments. I am going to be handling her finances, as she is not capable of doing so. It will be a separate account, and all the expenses will be for her needs only. Of course I will keep careful documentation and receipts as to where the money is going: therapies, etc.

My question is, will this be any kind of violation of our Chapter 13? Will it be considered extra income, even though these checks will all be issued to her? Thanks for any advice you can give.

I don't think the trustee can touch disability money. I am no expert on this matter but I am sure LITR or justbroke will be along with their knowledge. But I am thinking you are safe.

Comment

I agree with Angel. I do not believe that it can be touched. Just make sure that money is not co-mingled with your other funds. If it were me, and you have probably already thought of this, I would open a bank account for the daughter and have the funds deposited into that account, and administer her affairs from there.

Whether you will need to report the SSI to the trustee, Lady, JB, or Des will be the best ones to advise on that.
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Thank you so much for the replies so far. I think I will give my attorney a call as well just to make sure. Just don't want to screw anything up since we have almost four years in now and I can taste the finish line ahead!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X