top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good news! Disclosed active BK13 and still got the job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good news! Disclosed active BK13 and still got the job.

Hello-

I just wanted to share some good news. I am happy to say that our active BK13 did not prevent me from getting a new job, like I worried it might. I applied for, and recently accepted, a new job with a pay increase (I will be reporting this to my attorney next week). For my new role, I had to go through an extensive background and reference check. When the private investigator interviewed me over the phone, he asked for my timeline. I gave him all of the information related to my job history (20 years of job history), but since the BK13 had nothing to do with my profession, nor did it affect my ability to do my job well, I did not bring it up at that time. At the very end of the conversation, he asked if there was ANYTHING else I needed to tell him. I remembered what I had read on this forum about when to disclose, and took a chance. I told him that I wanted to be honest, and I knew he would see my active BK during the public records search. He said that he wasn't going to ask, but that I could tell him the circumstances surrounding what happened if I'd like to. He also said he already knew about it. He was very understanding and said that in his line of work, he talks to so many people who have gone through similar circumstances. This made me feel so much better! I was offered the job the next day!

I don't know if this will help anyone else, but it was a huge worry of mine.

I want to say thank you to all of the supportive people on this forum. I have learned so much from reading other people's stories, and thought it would be a good time to share mine.

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

That is great news. Congratulations!
      "To go bravely forward is to invite a miracle."

"Worry is the darkroom where negatives are formed."

Comment

Glad to here you got a new job with better income. That is a real boost! A lot of employers would pass up good people if their judgments were based on a person having filed bk.

I have found that bk doesn't have the "dark" stigma attached as it used to have. It has become more accepted and is no more uncommon than divorce or a misdemeanor charge. The consensus among most people is "no big deal". It is another cross to bear, but life goes on and 50 years from now it won't matter.
        Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X