top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

adding driver aged children to your auto insurance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

adding driver aged children to your auto insurance?

My son is 18 and still lives with us. He has a job and just received a car that was his late grandmother's. I read online that it can be cheaper for that age of your child to be added onto your car insurance instead of them getting their own right away. My question is, since I am in a CH 13, would that be advisable? Would the trustee try to take my son's car (if he saw my son's name on our car insurance papers) even though it is legally in his name as per the will of the grandmother and he is of age to have the car?

Both of our sons ages 19 and 23, still live with us and are on our insurance. The youngest was not of driving age when we filed in 2009, but is now. The cars they own are titled in their names as well as plates, registration and property taxes. It is way cheaper for them to be on our insurance (we qualify for multi-car family discounts because we have 4 vehicles and 4 drivers on one policy). The policy is broken down as to what each individual is charged. They make their payment to us accordingly. I don't think the trustee will care who is on the policy as long as they are contributing their share of the payment. If it doesn't affect what you spend why would the trustee be concerned? I'm sure a lot of people here have children on their insurance.
    Filed July 2009. Discharged 08/08/2014. Awaiting closing. We made it !!!! Woo-hoo!

Comment

I am going to have to do that in a couple of years! Yikes!
      Discharge date: October 2017 (will it ever get here?)

Comment

Thanks. Your situation sounds like ours so that's good to know we can add him to our insurance. He would be paying his share so it wouldn't be like it was coming out of our money.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X