top Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried changing employers while in a Chapter 13?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone tried changing employers while in a Chapter 13?

I am finally seeing the light at the end of this bankruptcy tunnel. Four years down, one to go! I have been working for the same company since before I filed, but recently I've been considering starting a new job search. There are many reasons for wanting to leave, but at the same time, I wonder if I should just suck it up for one more year. My biggest concern is a background check by a new company. Obviously, they will run my credit report and see the bankruptcy there, and that it is still active. I realize whether or not this would be a problem will probably vary by company, but does anyone have any experience with this? How commonly is a bankruptcy a problem with employers? I would have no issue being honest with any company and getting in front of it rather than letting them find it when they run my credit. But if it's going to be a big obstacle, I'd rather know before I start a new job search.
    Filed Ch 13 - 2/2010
    341 meeting - 4/2010
    Confirmed! - 6/2010

I have had two jobs since I have filed. I have a security clearance as well. If you are with the feds (as I am) the key is to always self report. I have not had any issues.
    CH13 - filed 30 JUL 09, $1521 @ 60 mos (100% payback)
    Done!!! - 01 Jul 2014 I'm free!! Discharged 9/23/14!

Comment

My husband changed jobs between filing and our 341. Our trustee (who could possibly be the greatest ever) asked for the name of the new employer and congratulated my husband. He had been self employed and that had led to a lot of our financial problems so it was a huge deal to us. After confirmation I changed jobs, we just let our attorney know.

I have heard about trustees that will try and go after you for more money if you better yourself. Our case was much different. We had a trustee that wanted us to do better and help us.

Comment

My husband and I both switched jobs in the middle. It wasn't an issue. Our lawyer was actually the only person who seemed to have a problem with it....I guess they got the order to stop payroll deductions or something and wrote an email asking how we expected to pay our Chapter 13. I was kind of offended -- yes, we made some bad choices to end up in Chapter 13, but we're not that stupid to just quit a job without anything else lined up!!

Comment

Husband and I both changed jobs while in Chapter 13. We went from one university to another and we both had background checks. We did not disclose the bankruptcy and we both deal with a signfiicant amount of money. No issues. Good luck!

Comment

I'm in Chapter 13 and just received a job offer from a very large company. My background check was clear and they didn't bring up my credit history/bankruptcy at all. I was honest with my recruiter and let her know the BK and credit issues would show up on a check. I guess it depends on the employer as to whether or not the BK/credit will be an issue. I assume this would be more important to a financial institution compared to a non-financial organization.

Comment

my husband was hired by a law enforcement agency in the middle of our 13. this was after the agency's standard extensive background check, polygraph, you name it. i got my secret clearance also in the middle of our 13. the advice we were both given was to not hide it if we were asked. and yes, we were asked about it. good luck with your job search.

Comment

In my industry a lot of positions are filled using recruiting firms. Any time I was contacted by a recruiter, if I was interested in a job I would let them know up front. Some would know if it mattered, others would confidentially check with the hiring firm.

I've had 2 job changes since filing...was laid off a week after filing. One took an attitude of "Stuff happens, especially in this economy", and my current firm has not mentioned it in the 2 years I've been there. And they may not know because my payments are made by me, not payroll deduction.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X