Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ACA-Obamacare Exemption-Filed for BK in last 6 months

Hello,
    We purchased healthcare this year through ACA (Obamacare). We do not qualify for any subsidies. I was only able to fit into my budget to purchase coverage for myself and two daughters, but not also my husband. Leaving husband without healthcare for 2014. I was planning on having to pay the penalty on him.

After reviewing the exemption list, under Hardship Exemptions, there is one that states that you qualify for an exemption from paying the penalty if you have "Filed for Bankruptcy in the last 6 months". Of course, I think this one should have been worded with more detail. I filed for BK in 2010, but am still in my plan until 2015. What are your thoughts about whether I could qualify for this exemption?

I already called Healthcare.gov, and they had no idea the different chapters of BK and the details.....

Does anyone have any experience with this yet?

Hopefully they mean "in an active bankruptcy case within the last six months." It would help those discharged in a 7 to get back on their feet and allow a 13 one less thing to worry about while they're struggling to make plan payments.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you, but I know being without insurance is scary. My husband, daughter, and I went without insurance for a year when my husband was laid off. I got strep throat, $288 That we didn't have. We were lucky that nothing else happened...we just skipped the dentist and blood-pressure medication for a year and hoped for the best.
    Chapter 13 - May 2014
    Broke but not broken...

Comment

I mailed in the application for the exemption with my BK paperwork. I will report back the response I receive.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
      Working...
      X