HELP =( almost all of my debt is from balance transfers! Feeling hopeless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP =( almost all of my debt is from balance transfers! Feeling hopeless

I need to file bankruptcy but I have a lot of recent balance transfers and I'm afraid creditors will object to discharge and I'll be royally screwed. I can wait 90 days or so, but I can't wait over a year.

Here's a timeline:

7/21/2016 Transferred $5,660 to my wife's chase visa from Citicard

7/21/2016 Transferred $2,100 to my wife's chase visa from my Bank of America credit card

8/01/2016 Transferred $4,458 to my Bank of America Visa from my chase Credit Card

8/19/2016 Transferred $3,378 from my wife's visa to my Bank of America Visa

10/27/2016 Transferred $5,958 from Chase Visa to Citicard

10/31- Transferred $2,946 to my wife's Chase Visa from my Citicard

I MAY Transfer $10,800 from my wife's Chase Visa to my Citi Card today, I'd rather take my chances in bankruptcy down the road having this debt in my name than keep the amount on her credit card which guarantees the full amount has to be paid.

Here's my debt situation, I have missed no payments on anything yet.

Best Buy Visa- $1,345.19

Target Card- $532.26

Bank of America Visa- $27,037.87

Disney Premier Visa- $2,969

Southwest Visa- $319.68

Citi Diamond Preferred Card- $5990.70

Rebecca Disney Premier Card- $1,076.42

Rebecca Southwest Visa- $10,832.92

Total- $49,841

Plus two upside down auto loans and a no equity mortgage.

I'm a little confused -- isn't this the same situation posted in another thread -- this time with the amounts? If so, LadyInTheRed's advice seem to continue to apply. Incurring more debt for the sole purpose of discharging it in bankruptcy would appear to be fraud. The question is -- will the creditor attempt to pursue it. You stated an attorney you spoke with said he didn't think a balance transfer today would be an issue, as long as you waited 90 days.

It would seem that this is the question at hand: Is paying off debt held in your spouse's name via a balance transfer considered an insider preference?

I am not an attorney, however my instinct tells me to get a few more opinions from bankruptcy attorneys in your jurisdiction. You have a potentially fraudulent transfer that will benefit an insider. I doubt anyone here will go above and beyond LadyInTheRed's advice in your other thread, other than speculating on whether or not Citibank will object to the transfer.
    Last edited by leonel9; 11-15-2016, 07:20 PM.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X