New job after filing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HHM View Post
    to lrprn, when it comes to income, there is a distinct difference between the procedural posture of a chapter 13 and a chapter 7 when it comes to the BK estate. In a chapter 7, the BK estate is created (and frozen) at the time of filing. However, in a chapter 13, the BK estate is created at the time of filing, but because of the nature of a chapter 13, your future earnings are part of the BK estate.

Thus, I would not be too concerned about "projected" disposable income in a chapter 7...that issue is only for chapter 13's (at least for the time being).
    I'm really glad you pointed out the distinction. I'm afraid of losing a job due to a lot of medical absences. I could probably quickly find a 2-3 month contractor position that would pay over the median income (which I'm currently $3K below) nicely for that short term position (equivalent of $45-50K/yr)--but then I don't have med insurance, might have to pay my own taxes if they don't do W-2 contracting, etc.. But then you're praying that you can get a new position immediately afterwards, but we know that doesn't happen in the real world.
    *** THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVICE--ONLY A LAWYER CAN PROVIDE THAT. ***

My posts represent hours of research on and off the web, these forums, my experience, and my opinions.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
    Working...
    X