Pre-discharge education

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-discharge education

I used PACER to check the status of my case and learned my case was discharged.

I had been waiting to complete the second debtor education requirement, but now I wonder if there is any reason to spend that time and money.

I am very grateful for the information and advice available here. I wish everyone here a happy new year.

Interesting, I thought one had to take that 2nd class after they filed???
    Well HAPPY DAY for you! CONGRADULATIONS !

Catchmeifyoucan
    July 2006: Filed Ch13 :blink:
    Oct 2006: Converted to Ch7 :clapping:
    Jan 2007: DISCHARGED :clapping:
    Nov 2007: CLOSED :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

That is very interesting indeed. I have seen cases dismissed entirely for people not taking the required debtors education course and filing it before the discharge date.

However congrats to you on the discharge, just keep an eye open just incase they catch that.
      "Try to save money. Someday it may be valuable again." - Anonymous

Comment

You need to do it. Why take a risk of having your discharged revoked for not taking a class that you are required to take in the first place.

Comment

Why risk it? Take the class. Take a good class and you might actually learn something as well.
          Filed: 10/26/2006
          Discharged: 03/05/2007
          Closed: 5/19/2008 - Asset case due to balance transfer and income tax refund

Comment

I can't imagine how this is possible. I could be wrong, but I think not taking the course isn't just a dismissal, but a much more serious denial or revocation of your discharge. They must be backed up and dropped the ball on this one. You should take it soon, like today even and send it to the court. Why add more trouble over a $50, 3 hour course?

If you do decide to roll the dice research this section of the law:
            11 U.S.C. 727
            For Chapter 7 debtors, completion of a debtor education course is one of the requirements for discharge. See 11 U.S.C. 727(a)(11).

Comment

Debtor education

Thank you for your input.

I completed the debtor education and filed the required form.

The clerk informed that I had already been given credit for meeting this requirement when I filed. He also said that the office had been lenient or overlooked this requirement because the required form had changed. He mentioned that leniency was unlikely to continue.

He seemed prepared to close my case rigt away until I spoke about a reaffirmation agreement that had not been filed.

Earlier in the week I spoke with Toyota Financial who informed me they just received a copy of my signed reaffirmation agreement even though I sent it to them a month ago. Toyota explained they would file it. I have no idea why this has taken so long. So I am hoping Toyota will file it and then my case can close. Is there anything else I need to do? I just want this all to be over.

Thank you all. This is a great resource.

Comment

LOL I'm going to bet we are in the same region Yossarian. I never received the BNC mailing stating I had to take the second course. In fact, if we weren't on our toes (thanks to this forum) we may never have taken it. Our laywer also neglected to call or tell us about it, we sent them the email indicating we passed about 3 days before the 45 day and it was filed. The Pacer system shows it was recorded in time, but unlike almost EVERY other case I reveiwed we never received the standard notification telling us we had to take it. My bet is if we hadn't we'd be just like you, and have sailed through.

I also though saw many cases outright dismissed because they didn't take the class?!?! I think it might have to do with clerk workloads to be honest.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X