Incorrect amount owing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Incorrect amount owing

I filed my petition this AM, but this afternoon I got a letter from a creditor showing the amount I owe to be much larger than I estimated. Will this be a problem? I prepared my petition using a web site that prepared my documents, and they said it was ok to estimate amounts owing if you did not have exact amount. Please advise.

you should be fine, your balances will continue to acrue intrest charges and late fees until they are notified from the courts, so a good faith estimate should be fine.

Comment

mmcconn2 is correct. I underestimated many items on my petition, all discharged.
      "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

as long as your under-estimation wasn't several thousand dollars off................you'll be fine.

Good Luck!
        The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

actually it is several thousand, as i listed my balance, and they have added more interest, attorneys fees, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lldillon
            actually it is several thousand, as i listed my balance, and they have added more interest, attorneys fees, etc.
            What is the exact dollar figure? You may wish to have your petition amended.
            The information provided is not, and should not be considered legal advice. All information provided is only informational and should be verified by a law practioner whenever possible. When confronted with legal issues contact an experienced attorney in your state who specializes in the area of law most directly called into question by your particular situation.

Comment

The last statement I had received listed my balance at approx 8000, but the new letter i just received, after adding their attorneys fees, has my balance closer to 15000, so how do I amend my petition?

Comment

The software you used to file your petition should have the appropriate amended form. The logic behind keeping your listed debts amount as accurate as possible is to reduce likilhood of you getting balance billed, and incorrect debt undates on your credit repors. A lot of people have to deal with months of frustration to get underestimation matters resolved. Best bet is to simply do an ameneded. It's a relatively a quick and simple process. You never want to have significant balance desprepancies on your BK petition or list the amounts owed as unknown, if seen the results of this sort of carelessness before, and it's a very time consuming headache clear up.

Good Luck!

Comment

Ooh, yeah... off by that much, best to be on the safe side
                  "You once asked me for advice. You want some now? Never pass up a good thing." Lieutenant Jean Rasczak, Starship Troopers

Join the Mobile Infantry and save the world. Service guarantees citizenship.

Comment

As part of my lawyer fees and representation (which I think he mostly sucked at!) my lawyer pulled a credit report on me and my husband from all 3 CB. This should give you pretty accurate debt amounts.
                    Edyta...
                    Discharged April 2005

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X