"Any real estate within the last 6 years?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Any real estate within the last 6 years?"

That was a question posed to me yesterday by the trustee, but today my answer made me nervous...

First, the trustee had been asking me about a small piece of land that is essentially worthless (as far as creditors are concerned) at around $1500 that was left to me years ago. (Small little lot that has been kept in family for sentimental reasons, not financial.)

Anyway, he saw all the assessments on it and moved on because in his opinion, it "has no value." (True in the monetary sense!)

Next question was the above, about any real estate within the last 6 years. "Have you owned any real estate in the last 6 years?" I immediately answered "no," because I was in the frame of mind of "land" or any kind of property that I perhaps had bought or sold or had profited from. However, in thinking over everything today I realize; I was still on the mortgage of the house I had shared with my ex-husband 5 years ago.

Didn't cross my mind because I left and he remained there for another year or so, I had signed off on everything and got zero when he sold the house, nothing to do with it. Can't remember what year I signed the quitclaim deed, but it was NOT over 6 years ago.

As I said, it never crossed my mind. I had discussed the house with my attorney initially, but he said it wasn't an issue because I didn't get anything from the sale, etc.

Now I'm concerned. Certainly had no intent of giving any misleading answer! Just wasn't thinking of way back when and my thinking was in a different direction and focused on real estate only in anything I may have gotten money for or had money invested in.

I'll be asking the attorney about this, but can anyone tell me if I have reason to be worried? I'd have mentioned the house, had I even remembered in that moment or thought about it on any level. But does it ultimately matter?

Many thanks for any insight.

I don't think you have any worries. You told your lawyer-he could have corrected your answer if he felt it was incomplete or misleading.
    Sounds like you followed the terms of your divorce decree as far as property divison. That's not an issue.

Comment

Don't worry, but tell your attorney.
      He'll likely notify the trustee about it. And the trustee won't care.

Worst case, you'll have to dig a copy of your divorce decree out which shows it as no value.

Comment

Many thanks, 'keep' and spell!

Makes sense.

I'm waiting on a call back, and in the meantime will have divorce decree ready to go if need be.

Comment

Wow... I don't remember ever seeing that question. We bought our house in March 2003. It's listed (to be reaffirmed) but I don't recall that time frame. I hope I didn't make any mistakes!
          3/27/07: Chapter 7 Filed - Pre-filing true FICO (hers/his) 450/477
          5/10/07: 341 Meeting DONE! Trustee's Report of No Distribution Filed
          7/04/07: FICOs going up! Credit report cleanup (hers/his) 540/536
          7/10/07: DISCHARGED! 8/27/07: CLOSED!

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X