Reaffirmation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reaffirmation Question

I filed Chapter 7 and I'm awaiting discharge. I reaffirmed two loans: my auto loan and my home equity line of credit. I am current on both of them.

Early on, I went on my online banking site, which is where I have my HELOC as well as my checking acct. and a very small svgs. acct. All of a sudden my HELOC was not showing on the site! So I called the bank and they said because of my bankruptcy the loan acct. was "closed" although of course I still owed the money. I explained to them about the reaffirmation and they said once the BK was discharged, the loan would show again on my online banking.

Re the auto loan: almost the same thing. I tried to log on one day to pay online and I couldn't log in. Called the auto loan company, and they said that once the BK was discharged, the loan would be okay and I would be able to access it online. But that I should keep on paying the monthly bill in the meantime. Which of course I was doing, and intended to do all along.

Well here's the weird thing.....I can handle not getting online access but oddly (or I think it's odd anyway), I am not even receiving monthly statements from either place! Why is that? BOTH loans were reaffirmed, I signed the paperwork and copies were furnished to both places.

Is the reaffirmation not considered "official" until the BK is discharged? Both places have advised me to keep paying monthly, and of course that was my intention all along. But I figured since they were reaffirmed, I would still get the normal monthly statements, and be able to do the business online, as I was used to.

It's just a little niggly thing I suppose. But is this normal for reaffirmed accounts?
    Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
    341 Meeting July 19, 2007
    Discharged September 17, 2007
    Closed September 17, 2007

Even though you are payiong outside of your plan,anything that is included in the bk the banks will not let you pay online or in our case I could not pay my house payment at the bank itself. I had to mail that payment to their bk division. This is the crazy part I can pay my second mort. via the atm. My attn,told us this was a possibility upfront, it is to protect the banks from asking you for the money. I wanted to make sure they were crediting my payments so I called and asked for a statement to be mailed to me for my records.
    5/17/2006 Filed Chapter 13
    6/14/2006 341 meeting
    7/10/2006 Plan Confirmed
    9/12/2007 DISCHARGED,10/15/2007 CLOSED

Comment

During an active BK, the automatic stay makes it illegal for creditors to demand payment. Sending statements is demanding payment, so that's why they stop coming in the mail.
      Filed Chapter 7 on 5-11-07 :aggress:
      341 Meeting on 6-13-07 :yes2:
      Discharged on 8-23-07 :yahoo::yahoo:
      Closed on 10-10-07 :D

Comment

Originally posted by Beach Bum View Post
        During an active BK, the automatic stay makes it illegal for creditors to demand payment. Sending statements is demanding payment, so that's why they stop coming in the mail.
        That's the explanation I kinda figured out....though I thought it was odd that it applied to the accounts that are being reaffirmed.

Guess I won't worry about it. All is good.
        Filed Ch. 7 June 14, 2007
        341 Meeting July 19, 2007
        Discharged September 17, 2007
        Closed September 17, 2007

Comment

no statements

My lawyer advised that most creditors would stop billing. If you want to keep the stuff you must make the payments even if you do not receive statements.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
          Working...
          X