Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my 341 today, wow - long

Hi all!

I've been reading here for a few months, but haven't posted until now because it seemed like every time I had a question, it was already answered. You guys are good! I couldn't have gotten through all this without this board.

Anyway, my 341 was this morning, and I sat through about 50 other meetings before mine was called. (I was about 45 minutes early, and they were running about 45 minutes late, and the place was PACKED!)

The trustee looked just like my favorite uncle, so my first thought was that he was cool. Then I started listening to the meetings, and he seemed really tough. I couldn't blame him, though, some people didn't show, most had forgotten at least one paper that he'd requested, some didn't have their ID, and the only pro se filer that I saw hadn't filled out half the forms, and the ones they did fill out were wrong.

He kept asking everyone about their tax returns, sales of property, and saying not to do anything with certain items/property in case he wanted them. I'd say about half of them got continued to next week. Some walked out in tears. And all these people had lawyers! And my lawyer sitting next to me kept looking at the papers for my case over and over. I'm freaking out at this point

When my name was called, my lawyer asked me all the standard questions, I answered them yes or no, not volunteering anything extra (thanks to you guys), and the trustee looked at a couple of new papers that my lawyer gave him, and said "Ok, I have everything I need from you, this case is concluded".

He didn't ask me *anything*!!! I was so paranoid, even though I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, and had answers ready for all the things I just *knew* he was going to ask me anyway, that I was flabbergasted. I said thank you, and it was over!!!

I still can't believe it was that easy, I was the only one he didn't ask anything at all, and the whole thing didn't even last a minute. I LOVE my lawyer for having me so prepared. And you guys as well, obviously.

Just for FYI, since I haven't posted before this, I'm WELL under median, but my I & J showed about $350 dollars disposable, so I was worried about having to do a 13, but my adult daughter is currently paying me rent/utilities of about 500/month that won't last much longer as she'll be moving out. I expected to have to tell them that, but he didn't ask about it. I have a 16 yo son to support as well. So here's one person under median that didn't have to convert to 13 just because of disposable income over 167.

My monthly income without my daughter's help is about 1680 gross, no home, no car (husband took it with him and since got it repossessed, I walk to work). I left him in April because he was abusive and an alcoholic. I live in Kansas. I got my lawyer paid through pre-paid legal from work (awesome deal, only 15 a month), and only had to pay filing fees.

Anyway, long-winded enough, I'm just so happy I could go on forever!

Filed Chapter 7: 07-31-2007
    341 meeting: 08-30-2007
    Last Day for Objections: 10-29-2007 60 days left
    Member of the 60 day club! Finally!
    Filed Chapter 7: 07-31-2007 :clapping:
    341 meeting: 08-30-2007 :yahoo:
    Last Day for Objections: 10-29-2007 :unsure:
    Discharged & Closed: 10-30-2007 :yahoo::clapping::yahoo:

Excellent job! My attorney did the same thing - had me almost overprepared for the 341. That is the way to do it and why we don't encourage pro se at all. The bk attorneys know exactly how the law is interpreted, where if you read the code you take it literally and there are some gray areas.

congrats and by Halloween you will be smiling! Best of luck going forward. Remember, we don't want to see you back here, so take care of the finances from now on....don't charge unless you can pay in full that month, etc.
    Filed Business Chapter 7: 7/11/07
    341 Meeting: 8/8/07 Asset Case
    US Trustee reviewed case/resolved 9/14/07
    Discharged: 10/11/07 Closed: 11/2/08

Comment

Oh yes, believe me, I don't even want another credit card unless it's secured, and not even that for a very long time. I'm obviously going to have to get a car eventually, but even that is going to be saved for and bought with CASH. As long as it runs, I don't care how it looks. ;)

It really was a wakeup call to go from being a stay-at-home mom with reasonable amounts of debt considering our income at the time with my husband making about 90 thousand a year, to having to go back to work and support my kids on my own making less than 20 thousand, still trying to pay all the same bills. My husband lost his job because of his drinking in February of 2006 and still isn't working, and if he ever does get a job, I'm sure he'll lose it the same way. So I don't expect anything in the way of child support. Fortunately, he's not even in this state anymore, so I don't have to deal with him.

Now to save up for a divorce... the fun never stops.

Comment

Originally posted by Misha707 View Post
        I'm obviously going to have to get a car eventually, but even that is going to be saved for and bought with CASH. As long as it runs, I don't care how it looks. ;)
        HAHAHA!
        I know exactly what you mean! I had to surrender my financed passat because I couldnt afford the payments...
        My husband got us a new (very OLD) car last month... it was a major DOWNGRADE!
        but i kept saying - i don't care what it looks like as long as it runs!
        luckily we found a 93 Mazda with only 50k miles, it has a couple dings and needs a tune-up, but the inside looks brand new.
        it had 1 owner who was a senior citizen... who must have only drove it to church and back! hehehehe!

the dealership where we got it let my husband do in-house financing without a credit check, no interest... it was a run-down dealership/service station, but we got a good deal.

when the time comes for you to get a car, i'd recommend looking for a similar type of place... good luck!
        None

Comment

congrats......halloween will be a happy one this year...good luck
          case filed : 6 -5-2007 :blush2:
          DISCHARGED ...9-26-2007..:yahoo::yahoo:
          case closed : 11-13-2007 :yahoo::yahoo:

Comment

May I ask where are you from in Kansas? I am from Wichita, and I am looking for a good attorney. Thanks.

Comment

Congratulations, welcome to the 60 day club
              May 31st, 2007: Petition Filed by my lawyer
              July 2nd, 2007: 341 Meeting Held
              September 4th, 2007: Discharged and Closed.

Comment

I'm in Johnson County, south of Kansas City, KS. I wish I could help, but I don't know of any lawyers near you, this was actually the first time I ever used one in my life. If anyone else is in this area and looking for a good lawyer, I'd definitely recommend mine.

I lucked into finding him on my first consultation, he was the first one listed on the website for my prepaid legal plan. After I talked to him in his office, I instantly trusted him, and everything he said was just what I was read here on this site. So I canceled the other 2 appointments I'd made with other lawyers. He actually answered the phone himself, on a Saturday, and invited me to come in that afternoon for my free consultation.

It almost seemed like he was desperate for business, except every time I went to see him, there were plenty of people also there to see him. But even with an obviously brisk business, he always had time to answer my questions, himself, whenever I called, and his receptionist (who usually answered the phone) let him know I had a question.

I really couldn't have asked for more.

Comment

I had my 341 meeting Aug-28-07. I filed pro se and I was prepared as well because several female lawyers I know took me to school for this procedure. Since I could not pay them, they referred me to every book, every website and along with all the people on this site, I, a novice was able to file pro se on my own. I just wanted you to know that my story almost mirrors yours at the meeting except for one thing, trustee was really nasty to me about my leased Cadillac. He said that "seems to him, a person driving a Cadillac should have been able to hire a lawyer, but he still discharged me as NoAssets and told me to take the second part of the debt counseling class or my discharge would not be complete. I am happy, but the nerve of some people who are in power positions....sad, just sad.

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X